Auto Closing threads

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Well, i've noticed taht recently alot of new members have been going deep in the the general software/hardware section and reviving old threads that the last post was over a year ago. These threads are clearly dead and have no reason for being resurected. keeping that in mind, would it be possible to have the forum lock threads after one year of in-activity?

i'm not sure if its even possible for us to do this, but if it is, what would you guys think of this?

[edit] i'm just going to throw this link in as an example http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=24872&page=2&pp=15 notice how untill today, the last post was in october of 2005.

I think it would be a good idea, there are tons like that lately. I have reported 2 in the last few weeks with people saying "look ive resurrected the oldest thread in the forum, arent i clever". Whats even worse is when you start typing a long ass reply and then realise its old and you have wasted your time :)

the rules say you cant post in a thread more than 30 days old so i think any thread more than 30 days old should be locked

Honestly you can't really blame them. if they use the search function, and find a relevant thread, and post in it, by all means they're doing EXACTLY what we all say. So, either we prohibit search functions or length of time to which you can post on threads.

Jenox said:
Honestly you can't really blame them. if they use the search function, and find a relevant thread, and post in it, by all means they're doing EXACTLY what we all say. So, either we prohibit search functions or length of time to which you can post on threads.

not really. we ask that they search first and if they can't find the answer they are looking for then they are to go ahead and create a new thread. If need be they can post a link referencing the old thread, just don't resurrect it.

Ð88 said:
not really. we ask that they search first and if they can't find the answer they are looking for then they are to go ahead and create a new thread. If need be they can post a link referencing the old thread, just don't resurrect it.

Still though there isn't any real clarification on what they should do. Maybe we should post a sticky thread of some sort in regards to old threads and the search feature in each section? Make it a little more known as to what people should do when searching for a general topic or subject?

i kinda see what Jenox means in his first post, but even then, it should just be a point of refference, not a "oh, i know whats going on with this one-and-a-half year old thread so i'll answer it".

but yes, Raffaz i did that on some other threads too untill i realised what they were. you always seem to beat me to the punch on getting it taken care of tho. Like the one i linked to here for an example. it was closed when i first saw it today. So, naturally, i wanted to see why it was closed. Unfortunatly i wasn't too supprised...

Put something on the top of each forum for members that just recently joined saying not to bump old threads? vBulletin can do a lot when modified, trust me.

if it's people pulling up threads just to be clever (like funny clever) then I'll happily ban them if they do it too much.

else I don't much see the point in changing things.

most forums software has an auto prune function, that would take the threads out of the database, and put them into a static archieve.
perhaps that is the best solution here?

Back
Top Bottom