Windows 2003 Terminal Server Problem

Gorilla Pound

Solid State Member
We have 2 domains in our environment here at work...we just created a new application server in which we plan on putting in to production this weekend. It is a terminal server in which all users will remote desktop to the computer to access apps. Now all the users reside on one domain, while this server is on our old domain...now although the server resides on domain A, when we log in to the server through remote desktop we sign in to domain B.

All the clients are XP and the server is Windows 2003...

When a you log on to the server, after you type your password you get a window popping up that says.

"Cross forest roaming user profiles are disabled. Windows did not
load your roaming profile and is logging you on with a local profile."

You can hit OK and go right in but I don't want this window appearing. There is an option in the GP to "Enable cross forest roaming..." and when I enable it that message goes away but it is EXTREMELY slow to log in. I googled this to death but can't figure out how to get rid of it, Im pretty sure its a group policy setting on the server but theres a bunch and I played around with them and cant figure out which one it is.

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy

What its doing is cross referencing the account info(login/pw) with what your domain controller has in it. So it has to contact the DC then get the info, then transfer it back, set your privilages then log you in. so thats why its taking so long.

uid=[0] said:
What its doing is cross referencing the account info(login/pw) with what your domain controller has in it. So it has to contact the DC then get the info, then transfer it back, set your privilages then log you in. so thats why its taking so long.
Thank, let me try that...

No, you dont need to try anything, the Terminal Server does it automaticly, and thats why its taking forever.

Sorry I didnt explain very well.

uid=[0] said:
No, you dont need to try anything, the Terminal Server does it automaticly, and thats why its taking forever.

Sorry I didnt explain very well.
Right, but this process is not supposed to take that long. Our present application server although on Windows 2000, does not take but a second to log in through TS.

I actually figured out which Group Policy needed to be enabled...it was the "Allow only local policies" one. Apparently because we have roaming profiles implemented it was determining that it was not used on that server. Thanks anyways.

Back
Top Bottom