Win 2k3 Shared folder help

Munkey1

Beta member
Hi
I haven't been been using Win server 2k3 for long, so I am new to all of the features.
The problem is that I have a shared folder but it is not public to anyone on LAN, when I complete the shared folder wizard it creates one, but whenever someone wants to connect to the server (to view the shared folder) It asks for a username and password, its getting annoying that I have to paste the password on all 4 walls so no-one is bugging me to ask for the pass, also its just annoying.

So how can I make the folder truly public to anyone on the LAN, viewable without having to type in a password each time?

Thanks
~Munkey.

Add the username and password of each user accessing the folder as a user on the server and then assign them permissions to that share.

Okey, so what if someone that wants to view the shared folder does not have a computer password, does that mean that if someone guesses the username they can remotely or whatever log on to the server and use the computer with the set privileges?

You can either make a user account for each member of the LAN which is the same as their account on their computer (same username and same password) and grant permissions from there for the fileshare. You can also make a general account with a separate username and password for that member but that will require them to log in. Or just make a generic user account with certain permissions and whoever gets to have those permissions may use that generic account. Either way as long as the accounts are entered in the "Users" usergroup, they can only access network shares and not actually control the server or log in locally.

Back
Top Bottom