WAMP server won't work outside of LAN!!! Help!

aabmass

Beta member
Hi, I'm pretty new at working with webservers and have set up WAMP on my Windows XP machine. It works perfectly within the LAN (I can access my localhost page from any computer on the network), but I can't get it to work from outside. I'm using freedns.afraid.org and their Dynamic IP update client to forward to my dynamic IP. I figured my ISP is blocking my Port 80, so I switched it to 8080 and set my router to forward to my machine. Now in the LAN i go to "192.168.2.105:8080" (192.168.2.105 is my internal IP) and that loads fine, but still doesn't work from outside. When I ping my freedns.afraid.org domain it resolves to my IP so thats not the problem. The only things I changed in my Apache httpd.conf file was changing the listening port from 80 to 8080 and adding these lines for virtual host:

Code:
NameVirtualHost 192.168.2.105
<VirtualHost 192.168.2.105:8080>
</VirtualHost>

(192.168.2.105 is my internal IP) I haven't really done anything with mySQL or PHP yet, but i know they're configured by WAMP; I just haven't made any databases yet.

Please help me!!! I've tried as much as I know and I'm pretty new to this!

Hello, I am not familiar with WAMP but are you sure you have port 8080 forwarded correctly?

Hello, I am not familiar with WAMP but are you sure you have port 8080 forwarded correctly?

WAMP is an acronym for Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP, but it is distributed as a software package. And I'm pretty sure I have forwarded Port 8080 correctly. I have a linksys WRT54GS if that's of any help.

Some Routers will never let you access from the "outside" be sure to test this on a different connection than your home connection. Apart from making sure that you have forwarded the ports to the Server internal LAN IP. So don't use DHCP, unless you have an option in your router to setup static DHCP. Other than that you must check that no firewall is blocking the ports on the server. Windows XP is not a server OS, if you go with Windows I suggest Server 2008, web or standard and use IIS. If you wish to use Apache, Nginx, Lighthttpd or others go with Linux if you can.

WAMP is similar to XAMPP, but I have better luck with XAMPP. As for needing Server 2008 for something like this, that's overpowered and too much for this purpose. Windows XP actually does fine, I have a virtualized XP system running XAMPP right now, and it does a fine job.

The key is to definitely be sure that you are forwarding the port on the correct system, especially if it uses DHCP (I set mine to static on the LAN) and then also make sure that you aren't running into conflicts. If you're using Port 8080 for the general Port 80 rule, you'll have to change the Port 8080 rule to something else, say, Port 8081. If nothing else in your setup is assigned to 8080, you can ignore what I just said. ;)

Also, when you use Port 8080, you may need to type http://myserversnamehere:8080 to get it to display the page correctly.

Is there any error message in apache error log file. Have you verify the access log file.

Test the port is accessble outside using below command

#telnet ipaddress portnumber

ex

telenet 192.168.2.105 80

Before I comment on this topic, I just want to ask if you are using a DLINK router. Your response will help me to answer your question better.

Back
Top Bottom