Virtual Private Server

colorblindjimbo

In Runtime
Hey, I am the owner of a Gaming Community, and we currently have 3 game servers up. Two public game servers, and one private (for testing purposes and clan matches etc...)

Our total bill right now is

1. 20Man Server: $30/m
2. 20Man Server: $30/m
3. 10Man Server: $10/m (private)

This is a total of $70/m.

I was wondering if it would be possible to switch over to a VPS service, such as the one from 1and1.com. They offer 256mb memory, 25gb hard-drive space, and 1tb of bandwidth per month, for $30/m.

I was wondering if I could host one game server on each VPS, as it would allow me much more customization. I would actually be able to SSH into the server, and change OS settings, or download files and mods directly from the web rather than having to FTP.

So, would these system resources be enough for me to run a server? 256mb memory seems low, but I mean CS:S servers don't use any graphics processing, they just send packets back and forth. Do I need 512? 1gb?
Will there be enough bandwidth? Mind that all map downloads will be from my webserver, so you need not include that.

IMO: If I could host every server with 1 VPS, I would do it just because of the customization I could offer, I'm just wondering if the VPS would be able to be run.

Another thought, our bill is currently at $70/m, and for $99/m I can get a dedicated server. Would I be able to run all three gameservers off of this one dedicated server? Or would there not be enough bandwidth? Processing power? would I suffer high pings?

Hey, I am the owner of a Gaming Community, and we currently have 3 game servers up. Two public game servers, and one private (for testing purposes and clan matches etc...)

Our total bill right now is

1. 20Man Server: $30/m
2. 20Man Server: $30/m
3. 10Man Server: $10/m (private)

This is a total of $70/m.

I was wondering if it would be possible to switch over to a VPS service, such as the one from 1and1.com. They offer 256mb memory, 25gb hard-drive space, and 1tb of bandwidth per month, for $30/m.

I was wondering if I could host one game server on each VPS, as it would allow me much more customization. I would actually be able to SSH into the server, and change OS settings, or download files and mods directly from the web rather than having to FTP.

So, would these system resources be enough for me to run a server? 256mb memory seems low, but I mean CS:S servers don't use any graphics processing, they just send packets back and forth. Do I need 512? 1gb?
Will there be enough bandwidth? Mind that all map downloads will be from my webserver, so you need not include that.

IMO: If I could host every server with 1 VPS, I would do it just because of the customization I could offer, I'm just wondering if the VPS would be able to be run.

Another thought, our bill is currently at $70/m, and for $99/m I can get a dedicated server. Would I be able to run all three gameservers off of this one dedicated server? Or would there not be enough bandwidth? Processing power? would I suffer high pings?

VPS's typically don't have the necessary processor power to host gameservers, their is no way you could get two 100 tick 20 slot CS:S servers on a standard VPS.

Also, whats the specs on the dedicated server, and what tickrate do you run your servers at?

VPS's typically don't have the necessary processor power to host gameservers, their is no way you could get two 100 tick 20 slot CS:S servers on a standard VPS.

Also, whats the specs on the dedicated server, and what tickrate do you run your servers at?

I run my servers at 66tic usually. They are a GunGame and Zombie mod server.

$99/mo at Artofwarcentral:
Intel Celeron D 3.06 512MB RAM 120GB SATA
1500GB of Pure, High-Quality Bandwidth
Your Choice of Operating System
24x7 Toll Free Support @ 1-866-Low-Ping
99.9% Network Uptime Guaranteed
2 IP Address
Windows Media Services (video & audio)
Internet Information Service (IIS)
Anti-Virus Software
MDAC 2.8
Windows 2003 Support tools
Terminal Services (1 license)
.NET framework v1.1, v2, & v3
WinZip or Winrar
VBScript 5.6
ASP & ASP.NET
Free Manual Reboots
Fully Managed Backup Options
Game server control panel upgrades
Access to "All games" that AoWC Hosts
Free Team Speak Server
Affordable system great for beginners
Get 3 or more an get a major discount (Call for more details)
Setup time 5-7 business days

You could possibly get away with two 66 tick servers with 20 slots each on their, however its cutting it close. I'm not sure how much having gun game / zombie mod installed would impact processor requirements.

You could possibly get away with two 66 tick servers with 20 slots each on their, however its cutting it close. I'm not sure how much having gun game / zombie mod installed would impact processor requirements.

But I could definetly run 1 66tic server on 1 VPS?

It would cost me the exact same as it does getting it from gameservers.com, but would allow for much more configuration.

But I could definetly run 1 66tic server on 1 VPS?

It would cost me the exact same as it does getting it from gameservers.com, but would allow for much more configuration.

Its hard to know unless you know the details about how many processors, how many hosts per core, etc.

With 1 and 1 VPS's, I highly doubt you will be able to run a busy game server on it.

Its hard to know unless you know the details about how many processors, how many hosts per core, etc.

With 1 and 1 VPS's, I highly doubt you will be able to run a busy game server on it.
How about that dedicated server from artofwarcentral. How many gameservers do you think I could run? Mind you that they would all be 66tic max, and maybe 33tic on the zombie mod server. 20 Person servers.

And, would 1.5tb/mo bandwidth be enough for 2-3 game servers? Don't count map downloads because they are downloaded from my webserver.

How about that dedicated server from artofwarcentral. How many gameservers do you think I could run? Mind you that they would all be 66tic max, and maybe 33tic on the zombie mod server. 20 Person servers.

And, would 1.5tb/mo bandwidth be enough for 2-3 game servers? Don't count map downloads because they are downloaded from my webserver.

It would cough a bit on a modified 32 tick server, as my very similar rig does. Still useable though.

Gungame and Zombie apparently KILL processors in servers though.

If I were you i'd just try it for a month or so and see how it goes, you won't know till you try, or until you can read somewhere about someone who has tried.

As far as I understand you have been running 3 shared web hosting accounts? Correct? And you would like to have all them on the one place. If so - yes I agree with you. As far as you have been happy on the shared web hosting with your projects you will be happy with them on VPS and yopu do not need dedicated.
I would recommend you have a look at HostV.com VPS/VDS - they are the ones who have major in VPS and VDS only.

Back
Top Bottom