Setting up new server

You need the scsi driver from IBM to install windows as you have a machine with scsi drives

Jacob is correct, but let's deal with that problem when we come to it - at the moment it's not even booting from the CD drive.

Bit of quick scouting around found this:
IBM Servers (many) have a strange menu for boot sequence:

in the BIOS main panel, you see a point as Startup Options:

when you enter here, it seems there is a sub-menu,
first row seems the title and above rows the choiche:

instead the first line is not the title but the first choiche, (there is a bullet) and you have to press enter
for real boot sequence setup.
See if that helps you locate the correct options in the BIOS.

Jacob is correct, but let's deal with that problem when we come to it - at the moment it's not even booting from the CD drive.

Bit of quick scouting around found this:

See if that helps you locate the correct options in the BIOS.

I forgot about that... The Bios menu is really strange and next time I reboot I will get some screen captures.

once you've figured out how to boot from a CD use the server guide CD, that has the SCSI drivers on it.

the only other way of getting the SCSI drivers would be including them on the windowsCD (difficult), or loading them from a floppy disk by pressing F6 when the setup program first starts.
(and you can only load them from a floppy in this way).

luckily IBM made it really easy and invented serverguide, that'll set up the SCSI drivers, the display drivers and the network drivers... and does most of it as an unattended install.

When I boot up the server with the ServerGuide CD in it and just leave it, eventually it gets to a screen that basically looks like it is asking me to insert a floppy disk. Is this what it is supposed to do?

what screens does it go through before it gets to that stage?

and are you sure that you've downloaded the right server guide CD for the system that you've got, different versions have had support for servers added and taken away.

you should find a small black sticker on the front that will say something like 5874-ZFY and that's the specific model that you have, and it'll relate to the hardware inside, and the server guide CD that you need.

Back
Top Bottom