Setting up a Home Server

Xtreme2damax

Baseband Member
I am looking to set up a home Linux server via a virtual machine. So far I am looking at either the x64 versions of Ubuntu or CentOS 5.xx for my server. I am wondering if anyone has any guides that pertain to setting up, configuring, securing and maintaining a home web server?

I have a domain name, but I am only provided one ip address by my ISP so I'm not sure how I would go about setting up name servers. I am somewhat familiar with Linux and the terminal, even had my own VPS for a month or two. I am just wondering what packages I need to install and how to configure and secure everything. I am aware it will be more difficult without Cpanel WHM but it's not like there isn't alternatives.

I am already aware that some ISP's prohibit running web servers, but the website I have is fairly low volume as far as traffic is concerned. Not to mention I download more per month than my website would eat up in web traffic. I have a 25 Mbps/25 Mbps Verizon Fios pipe so I have the connection to do it.

Thanks, I searched via Google but didn't find anything pertaining to setting up and configuring a home web server. If the search results I am looking for aren't on the first few pages I don't bother with clicking through all the other pages of results since time is lacking for me.

What is the best free control panel software by the way? I know Cpanel WHM makes configuring the server a breeze, most of the securing, hardening, PHP, Apache, MySQL installation and configuration can be done right from Cpanel WHM. Problem is it's way too expensive especially for a home setup meant for new side projects. I am not sure if there is a decent free alternative, Webmin is not a control panel software according to web hosts and is complicated so please don't suggest that.

XAMPP/WAMMP is a great place to start. I use the Windows version of their bundle and I've always had great success with it, and it's very good at helping to harden the site(s) that i've set up.

Yes, but what about securing and hardening? I've heard that using Wammp/Xampp is insecure, so I'd rather just install PHP/MySQL/Apache manually and then harden/secure the server. I was seeking a decent free alternative to Cpanel since it makes configuring the server easier than digging through all sorts of configuration files.

Well, The _ampps are about as much as I've touched aside from installing and configuring the modules myself. I've never had a problem with security on them, I hadn't heard if they were insecure or not, and like I said, I've been using it on Windows, sooo... :)

I can almost guarrantee you fios will not block anything!!! They use fiber, near infinite bandwidth on a single piece of glass, so if road runner won't block, fios probably won't either. What i would do in your case on a home server is take your domain hoster (such as godaddy for me) and forward it to your ip. Make sure you have a static. Now when people type that domain in, it goes to your ip, and thus to the default port of 80. Whatever runs port 80 as a webserver will receive those packets. It's very simple to do as long as your only aim is a website on port 80.

I just woke up so i may have mis-read your question. Tell me if this answered it or not.

Back
Top Bottom