Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
Default Servers and thin clients

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I won't be the one that will be personally setting this up; my father will, I barely have any experience in this area.

Anyway, according to my father he had an idea of setting up a Server and thin clients for a long time, so he's about to put this plan into action but, I need to know a few things first.

We are planning on having 4 clients connected to a server at once, we will be using this for mostly gaming purposes, we are hoping to run modern games at at least medium graphics. We have a budget of $1000 excluding monitors, keyboards and mice.

My question is, with a budget like this, will we be able to run games smoothly? Will the server be able to host 4 clients?

Thanks
__________________

whatdistraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Servers and thin clients

If the machines are being used for gaming, then I don't think thin clients are the way forward.

They typically have very weak GPU's/CPU's, as most of the work is offloaded to the server. It wouldn't really be viable for the server to render 3D Games for the thin clients, as the overhead of transmitting each frame would cause pretty severe lag.

A $1000 budget including the server and 4 thin clients might be possible if you use second hand hardware... but you wouldn't get anything new/terribly quick for that sum, unfortunately.
__________________

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
Default Re: Servers and thin clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03 View Post
If the machines are being used for gaming, then I don't think thin clients are the way forward.

They typically have very weak GPU's/CPU's, as most of the work is offloaded to the server. It wouldn't really be viable for the server to render 3D Games for the thin clients, as the overhead of transmitting each frame would cause pretty severe lag.

A $1000 budget including the server and 4 thin clients might be possible if you use second hand hardware... but you wouldn't get anything new/terribly quick for that sum, unfortunately.
Sorry, what I meant were, dumb terminals behaving as thin clients. There were some words lost in translation between my father and I. I'll try to convince him to increase our budget. Thanks for the help, is there anything else I should know?
whatdistraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 1,008
Default Re: Servers and thin clients

A rough way to think about this is you would need a machine to run multiple copies of whatever game you wish to play, plus consideration for data transmission, heat, and depending on your setup, storage device I/O. Unless you are short for space, I would advise against this setup for gaming.
__________________
distrACT -- an open community
● It helps to ask questions effectively
● Please join Server admins social group if you are into servers
dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Servers and thin clients

I agree. You might want to look into something like active directory, if you want a thin-client style of machine duplication, but the performance of a stand-along desktop.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
Default Re: Servers and thin clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
A rough way to think about this is you would need a machine to run multiple copies of whatever game you wish to play, plus consideration for data transmission, heat, and depending on your setup, storage device I/O. Unless you are short for space, I would advise against this setup for gaming.
Okay, what do you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03 View Post
I agree. You might want to look into something like active directory, if you want a thin-client style of machine duplication, but the performance of a stand-along desktop.
Sorry, again, I had written what my father tried to tell me incorrectly, what I meant is, dumb terminals on its own - no thin client behaviour or anything.
__________________

whatdistraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0