Server Management Backups

andy1027

In Runtime
In work we log backups of many different servers. We log whether they complete their routine backups or not. We record, either successful, failed, delayed or killed.

We record this information in a spreadsheet adjacent to the server name. The logs come into a mailbox, so I am constantly changing between Excel and Outlook to record copy and paste the server into the Outlook search bar to find the email that has come in post the latest backup for that particular server so I can record in the spreadsheet the result of the backup.

I am trying to gather ideas of how to automate this process rather than having to tediously copy and paste things and scan my eyes through cluttered looking emails.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the results of the daily backups could be recorded into the spreadsheet? Im not sure if it is possible or not which Is why I have written this thread to determine the possibility.

Thanks guys

Does the backup software you use support SNMP? I wonder if an SNMP server that could collect these logs would be of use to you. I would definitely look into using some sort of SNMP server monitoring software, though unfortunately I can't recommend any specific products.

what is the backup server software?

it sounds a bit weird to be manually recording results like that.

Back
Top Bottom