Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Server help

I am converting an old computer into a server which people can host files on with FTP and I need to host a website on it. The computer this going to get upgraded with more ram and a new hard drive as well as a new case. It runs windows XP. All I need to really know how hard this is to do, weather my house bandwidth will be two much and what software do i need to use to get this running how I want it. If you need to know any information please ask.

Sam-urai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Beta Member
Default Re: Server help

Using that computer as an FTP would be a piece of cake to setup if you just use the free Filezilla server http://filezilla-project.org/

you then need to set up port forwarding on your Router to your server machine.

You might also have to consider using No-IP if you do not have a static IP.

Also for hosting websites localy you can use IIS depending on what version of XP the following guide will give you a starting point to setting up IIS on XP

personaly I would go for a ready made hosting solution unless your propared to put alot of time and learning and setting it up.

Creativenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Site Team

It's going to be pretty hard to host a website, depending on how much knowledge you have on the subject. I'd go with a cheap hosting site like godaddy or whatever.
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

You can also use a custom solution like XAMPP which includes PHP, SQL, Apache, and it's free. I use it at home all the time, and I use a hosted solution that runs on Apache, so feel free to ask any questions. XAMPP has a great user community too.

IIS can be a little resource intensive, but it works fine. XAMPP will run on just about anything - I have it on an old Athlon 800 and it serves pages plenty fast over my DSL and cable lines (864/4M uploads respectively)
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote