Server Help

Matt18

Beta member
I am living in a dorm at college, me and my other room mates each have one or two computers each. I have Windows server 2008 installed on my computer and want to set it up so that it stores network usernames/passwords for each of us and set up each computer so it logs in to the server or they can log in locally. I am new to servers and don't know to much. We are on a workgroup, any help would be great. Thanks

You'll have to verify that all the computers have XP Pro or Vista business or higher. XP/Vista Home computers can not connect to a domain and therefore this will all be wasted effort.

Which is why he doesn'tnecessarily need to create a domain. Just place the same local account information from pc's on the server. Then when each user wants to access files stored on the server they can just access the shares created. Domains are nice, but is probably overkill in this situation.

Kind of pointless to do it that way if he wants a dedicated way to save user information and pw like he said whats the point in even using a server to do that yes it will work but you could do the same thing with xp and win7. You already have the server just set it up and dcpromo it. and join the computer's to the domain.

Kind of pointless to do it that way if he wants a dedicated way to save user information and pw like he said whats the point in even using a server to do that yes it will work but you could do the same thing with xp and win7. You already have the server just set it up and dcpromo it. and join the computer's to the domain.

Though this thread is what ... 7 months old, and Frank posted a comment 8 days ago, I'd still like to point out to Frank (again) that each computer that is in this dorm needs to be domain joining "ready". In other words, they've all got to be XP Pro, Vista Business/Ultimate, Win 7 Pro/Ultimate. If any are Home versions, then creating a server domain is pointless, since none of them can join.

ah REALLY i had no clue ABOUT THIS ty you for pointing this out smart guy. Man your good whay could i have been thinking only been working in the biz for 3 years few now i know why i could never join a computer to a domain

Although YOU knew that, it's possible the OP didn't and it's important to let the OP know that so he doesn't waste a bunch of time.
Plus reviving a 7 month old thread when the OP still only has 1 (this one) post is rather pointless as well.

Back
Top Bottom