Server file interface with thumbnails?

Jk

In Runtime
Well, I finally got my server running nice and I uploaded a bunch of pictures so that family members could see them. The only problem is that apache gives a list of files (PIC_001, PIC_002, and so on) that you have to click on to see. After about 20 pictures this gets old.

Is there any way that I could make a buch of thumbnails that you click on to see the picture larger? Also can I make it possible to download a folder instead of downloading files individually? I woud use FTP but I don't want to have to explain to others how to get that working. If it matters I am running xubuntu 8.04 LAMP server.

Thanks in advance.

You could do this, yeah. What you would probably do, is use PHP to recursively make thumbnails with the GD Image library, then have them link to the original image. You could have a little check box in the bottom of each thumbnail, and at the bottom of the page, have a "Download Checked" Button.

PHP Would ZIP all of the images into an archive, which the user/family member could then download and extract.

Of course, this wouldn't be too simple to code, but if you like, You can add me on MSN and we could have a go at writing this script... Or if you haven't had any experience with it, I could do it for you.

You could use a gallery script, but in my experience, they are a bit... meh. They do the job, along with a load of other things that aren't really necessary.

Well I guess there is an excuse for me to start learning PHP. I've heard of some gallery scripts but as you said the seem a little bloated. I'll try do some coding on it and if I run into problems I'll IM you. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom