Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Question on server failure rates

Hi, Im just doing reseaarch for a college paper and I'm trying to find out the failure rates of high end servers and specifically how often they would need field repairs. I undertand that most are super reliable but I'm trying to find out how often the hardware can break down. Thanks

shamu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: Question on server failure rates

How long is a piece of string and how often does the wind blow by. It depends on the hardware, software, and personnel/users. Some hardware has a failure rate of 200 years and it could fail in 2. Look up the failure rate of types of hardware and go from there.

threadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Solid State Member

I would second thread marks comment, it depends on how well it is built, maintained accessed, cooled ect ect some servers/networks I have used have lasted years, others months!
HunterSli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Question on server failure rates

I've spent a year at my new work place. It's a school, so they buy the cheapest of everything. That means we have 4 different brands of servers. Each of our server rooms have a dedicated AC. I had three hard drives go out, a mother board go out, a NIC, and a PSU. That's out of one server room with 6 servers. Keep in mind, they are the cheapest bid. None are more than four years old.

There's another server room we had in an old building, it was in a wood shop. When I found that out everything got moved and replaced. Those servers and switches, to my knowledge, have been up for 8+ years. They had saw dust on them, crazy dusty, and old. Again, the cheapest bid. No idea why those servers, probably in horrible condition for 7.5 of 8 years (or the equivalent), never failed. The fans weren't turning there was so much saw dust.

Moral of the story? They do what they want. Same, cheaply made parts. I would be interested to see what you have come up with in your research though. Good luck!

Oh.. saw that was last month... sorry.
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote

hardware, repair, server