Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Is it ok to backup data like this?

I have a server computer with 3 HDs. Drive C has an OS and is bootable. What I did was I set the Windows backup utility to backup drive C into my 2nd and 3rd HD. Is there anything wrong with this method of backup?

I have tried to use RAID 1 for data protection but it is a hassle and I don't really need up to the minute data protection.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Is it ok to backup data like this?

You could write a batch file to customize the backup if you are looking to copy the actually files and tell the program to send it to one of the drives. As far as Windows Backup it seems like it would work.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

This method's ok. A bad virus can still wipe ALL the data as well as something like a PSU spiking could destroy all the hard drives.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
muz
Golden Master

Its an ok method in relation to drive c failing but ask yourself this , what wouold happen if there was a fire and the server was destroyed or what would happen if a virus infected the server and made the data on the drives useless
its always safe where practical to have an additional back up which is kept off site or at very least in a fireproof safe on the site for the sake of business useage , for home usage i just have an external hard drive plugged into the computer for backups
Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Its an ok method in relation to drive c failing but ask yourself this , what wouold happen if there was a fire and the server was destroyed or what would happen if a virus infected the server and made the data on the drives useless
its always safe where practical to have an additional back up which is kept off site or at very least in a fireproof safe on the site for the sake of business useage , for home usage i just have an external hard drive plugged into the computer for backups
Use Linux, keep fire extinguisher with you at all times xD
Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Daeva Send a message via MSN to Daeva Send a message via Yahoo to Daeva

The problem with using those other two drives as backups is that you're still decreasing their mean time to failure by running them when they're not needed (unless you don't have them powered constantly).

Ideally, a raid 5 would be the best fault tolerant and redundant option for the backups. Placing this in another device other than your primary file-server is best. Depending on your security concerns and budget, off-site backups could be good or bad. Bandwidth depending on your volume of data could be very expensive.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
This method's ok. A bad virus can still wipe ALL the data as well as something like a PSU spiking could destroy all the hard drives.
What if I set permission of the two backup HDs in a way that only the back program has access to it? A virus wouldn't have permission to access the hard drives.

As for the fire issue, I don't know :P
Old 08-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
BSOD

Instead of backing up data physically, try a cloud backup solution. Cloud backup solution is more secure, reliable & TCO is less.

Closed Thread