New server suggestions

apryls82

Beta member
I work for a flooring company with around 200 employees, around 50 at my location. The company currently has a MS Sql database running our main program, and a second online database through Quickbase, which we are duplicating the data to manage workflow and reports.

We are currently having lag issues at my location due to distance from main office and are thinking about adding a server at our location. The server would be used to run the main program, and possibly to create a second program that will utilize the main database, and only accessed by the people at my location (around 50 people).

Does anyone have any suggestions of what servers we would need?

You probably won't like this answer, but it may be more cost effective to spend that money upgrading the internet link between the two locations. getting a fiber line, or 2nd fiber line to increase throughput and decrease latency.

Unlikely latency would decrease any unless the pipe is full between the two locations... Even then, there's no guarantee that would help unless all connections between are working properly, which usually isn't the case.

As an ex-DBA, there are about 50 billion questions here.... okay not that much, but it's not as simple as you think.

First, adding a second server at your location may help, but your database replication is going to cause the same issue you're running into now. If you mirror the databases, both servers have to acknowledge the transaction before the transaction is committed.. so if there's "lag" as you say, adding a server at your location and mirroring data will only make that worse. Plus, what happens when the connection drops and both location are inserting/deleting records? So the program itself needs to operate autonomously from the main DB and allow for transactions to be reconciled following an outage. SQL Server has all kinds of cool stuff to do this, but simply adding a server isn't de way.

In line with Cortb's response, it would be worth maxing the connection out and testing your throughput from A to B. Try to clear up, improve, etc that connection. If it's slow, and you add a secondary server... it will just compound the problem.

Back
Top Bottom