Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Need help making file server

Alright, I have a 700mhz PIII with 128MB ram sitting here and i want to turn it into a file storage server for my small 4 computer at-home network. Heres what I need:

* It needs to be an OS or server software that can run on a 700mhz 128MB ram computer and give access to computers on my network which run on Windows and Linux

* I want it to be secure so that it can authenticate that I am accessing the server and not one of my friends who may be at my house using one of my computers on a guest account.

* I also need it to handle RAID 1. Do you guys suggest i use software or hardware to handle this, and which product?

* Also, i need the server to be simple and easy to access, meaning, for example, if I right click on on a program and click Save Target As, i should be able to download it directly to my server; otherwise, I will start getting lazy and start saving stuff to my local computers hard drive. I dont want to have to download it to my local machine, then manually connect to my FTP later and upload it. I need something thats as easy as saving a file to a Folder directory. I want it to be secure, but i dont want to have to type in a username and password everytime I want to read or write something to my server.

Thanks for your help people

rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to RewtGuy
Default Re: Need help making file server

Why raid1? Why not 5?

http://gentoo.org
read the documentation, it'll have EVERYTHING you could possibly dream of. Can't find it in the docs? Browse the forums. Can't find it in the forums, ASK!

Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
RewtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 AM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Need help making file server

RAID 1 is good enough and simple. Whats the chances of both hard drives breaking down in the same day? Its never happened to me and its good enough for my home network.
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote