Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
codejammer007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Question linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

ok,,, i'm setting up a linux box for a friend... out of an older computer he never used anymore.....
i put redhat 9.0 on it.....
i got the dhcpd working on the internal network.... but i can't seem to get it to bridge the connections so i can get out to the internet....
it's a gateway 1.0 ghz, 512 mb ram computer..... w/ a 14 gb hd....

i tryed a bunch of stuff off of google.... but nothing worked......
i probily need to re-do all the iptables configs. and start from scratch....

i can get out to the internet with the linux box... but nothing else....
i haven't ever done to much with linux...

i need step by step instructions.......
any help is greatly appreachiated...
thanks alot,
bobby
__________________

codejammer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codejammer007 View Post
ok,,, i'm setting up a linux box for a friend... out of an older computer he never used anymore.....
i put redhat 9.0 on it.....
i got the dhcpd working on the internal network.... but i can't seem to get it to bridge the connections so i can get out to the internet....
it's a gateway 1.0 ghz, 512 mb ram computer..... w/ a 14 gb hd....

i tryed a bunch of stuff off of google.... but nothing worked......
i probily need to re-do all the iptables configs. and start from scratch....

i can get out to the internet with the linux box... but nothing else....
i haven't ever done to much with linux...

i need step by step instructions.......
any help is greatly appreachiated...
thanks alot,
bobby
Why don't you run a router / firewall operating system on it such as Smoothwall or IPCOP.
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
codejammer007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Question Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

i've worked with redhat more than anyother linux...
so i just put that on there...
no really particular reason, other than some experence with it...
codejammer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

Resource Wise, you should probably install one of the dedicated OS's, as Chris mentioned.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Solid State Member
 
codejammer007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Question Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

i never messed with any of those....
are they easy to config?
dose it have a web browser?
do they have x?
codejammer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codejammer007 View Post
i never messed with any of those....
are they easy to config?
dose it have a web browser?
do they have x?
Their both web page setup based, similar to any router you find in a store. They both have SSH as well though.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
ColdwaterCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 256
Default Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

just a quick warning about smoothwall its a pain in the a** to get to work on older pc's and it doesn't like true static ip address from your ISP I learned that the hard way.
__________________
Now Open @ http://timscomputerrepair.net
Building Custom Computers/Servers and Selling Computer Equipment.
ColdwaterCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdwaterCS View Post
just a quick warning about smoothwall its a pain in the a** to get to work on older pc's and it doesn't like true static ip address from your ISP I learned that the hard way.
I haven't noticed it being hard to run on hardware, some motherboards it may just refuse to run on however. And I h ave not once heard of any issues with static IP's
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
In Runtime
 
ColdwaterCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 256
Default Re: linux firewall box w/2 nic's.... how to?

if you want a good router software go with http://www.smoothwall.org its a pain in the butt to setup but after you know how get it working it works fine because on my setup I got 4 nics on it Red+Green+Orange+Purple
Red=Is your incoming and outgoing (ISP line)
Green=is your DHCP or your other computers hook up
Orange=Webserver
Purple= For Wireless Router
__________________

__________________
Now Open @ http://timscomputerrepair.net
Building Custom Computers/Servers and Selling Computer Equipment.
ColdwaterCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0