Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Default IIS Problems

I have a problem with my website. I am on a dynamic ip address so the website domain is jjt.servehttp.com.

Anyway I am running a 500MHz Pentium 3 server with 192MB of RAM on Windows 2000 and Microsoft IIS. The website behaves strangely when I try to view it in my laptop sometimes and from itself.

Sometimes it works fine, others it refuses connections (according to Firefox) and sometimes a download window pops up in Firefox and it says 'downloading application/octet stream' or in IE it displays an 'f'.

When you try to view it on itself (using localhost) it always works, but either using the DNS name or the ip address on the internal network (port forwarding is configured) it does the above.

This happens on every single page whether it has javascript in or not.

Zone Alarm reports that inetinfo is not listening but TCPView says it is.
__________________

WeeWoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: IIS Problems

dude with that computer if it is a dedicated server get linux and run apache web server.

or if you wonna stick with windows put xp on it and use abyss web server
__________________

__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Default Re: IIS Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
dude with that computer if it is a dedicated server get linux and run apache web server.

or if you wonna stick with windows put xp on it and use abyss web server
Ive tried Debian Linux on a webserver before. Cos im a n00b i couldnt get it to work properly so win 2k we are. The server needs to be in my bedroom else I will get killed if it is anywhere else so its on wireless and wireless doesnt work with Linux very well. Cant get linux wireless drivers to work on Ubuntu so there isnt much hope for Debian there.
WeeWoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: IIS Problems

you are fine to run windows 2000 with IIS on that box,

in fact 8 years ago when windows 2000 came out that wasn't a bad machine.

there is a downside that you're running an old unsupported OS, so it's likely vulnerable to attack.

I've been running windows 2003 on a box with less power than that for years, (about five of them actually). assuming this is a low scale personal site then there should be nothing wrong with it.

of course that server will not allow you to scale to a site that recieves hundred, thousands, or hundreds of thousands or daily page views!
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
cg1
In Runtime
 
cg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 160
Default Re: IIS Problems

I had a similar problem using no-ip.org, its because it contains the external ip address and if your on the same network you need the internal ip.

as for windows 2000 its supposted to be supported untill 2010 althought new program like IE7 are not availble for it.
__________________
http://weather.gg
cg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Default Re: IIS Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
you are fine to run windows 2000 with IIS on that box,

in fact 8 years ago when windows 2000 came out that wasn't a bad machine.

there is a downside that you're running an old unsupported OS, so it's likely vulnerable to attack.

I've been running windows 2003 on a box with less power than that for years, (about five of them actually). assuming this is a low scale personal site then there should be nothing wrong with it.

of course that server will not allow you to scale to a site that recieves hundred, thousands, or hundreds of thousands or daily page views!
Well, if my site had that many hits id be able to afford to build a new box for it [well actually a new PC for me ] And win 2k isnt that bad now. That machine has a faster boot up time than my turion laptop running Vista!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1 View Post
I had a similar problem using no-ip.org, its because it contains the external ip address and if your on the same network you need the internal ip.

as for windows 2000 its supposted to be supported untill 2010 althought new program like IE7 are not availble for it.
No it wont work with the internal address or the external address and now the wireless adaptor has died so im kinda stuffed...
__________________
Failiure is not an option... it comes bundled with Windows.
WeeWoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: IIS Problems

Hmm, ocet stream - what file extension if the file you are trying to view. If its perl or C++ or something as a CGI it will prompt to download if you don't print "content-type: text/html\n\n";
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Default Re: IIS Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon View Post
Hmm, ocet stream - what file extension if the file you are trying to view. If its perl or C++ or something as a CGI it will prompt to download if you don't print "content-type: text/html\n\n";
It didnt have a file extension in Firefox, but when I tried to download it I got a .part file
__________________
Failiure is not an option... it comes bundled with Windows.
WeeWoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: IIS Problems

is this still happening if you create a simple HTML document and try accessing that, (just a simple hello world).
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Default Re: IIS Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
is this still happening if you create a simple HTML document and try accessing that, (just a simple hello world).
Yup tried that and it still gave me grief.
__________________

__________________
Failiure is not an option... it comes bundled with Windows.
WeeWoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0