IIS or apache

outlawstar4761

In Runtime
I'm trying to make my own webserver. Which is better? I've already downloaded apache and gone through the instalation a few times, because when I get done and try to go to my server through my browser, the address can't be found.

It depends on what you will be using it for. More detail on what you will be using it for would be very helpfull on this subject, such as what file types are you going to be using? .jsp, .aspx/.asp, .html, and so on.

well you dont need a web server to be able to access files from your other computers, you need to set up an ftp server or just use file/print sharing thats built into windows. as far as the web server goes, i would start at the basics and work your way up to php/MySQL. learn how the web server works etc... learn how to use it, then go from there.

for just php/mysql

IMHO Apache is a lot better.

it just depends on how you work best.

as uid=[0] said, to share files you should probably just use the shared folders capabilities of windows, or if you want to share out to the world (and only want to share files you should consider using an FTP server.

imho I know alot of the basics. html javascript etc. And I think I have a good idea of how servers work and of how networks work. So, I think, I'd be ready for my own server, mainly so I don't have to keep leeching of places like cjb or freewebs.

im sure you will enjoy the new "world" of computing when it comes to that, its an interesting field to get into and im sure you will like it.

If you have a dynamic IP address from your provider then it would be easiest to sign up with no-ip.com or dyn-dns.org with a free account to ease your server name woes and so you don't have to keep up with your IP address. Try typing http://localhost/ the next time you try it. That should work.

That's what the tutorial type thing I was reading said to use, but it also said that you could type what ever you want and they should work.

Back
Top Bottom