I"m a noob to the filer server world

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
So I might be putting a server in for a company. I kinda know what I'm doing, but I'm not completely sure. I believe all their comps are the same, and I want it set up so that they can log in on any computer, and their files will be on the server. I also want to have them all in a group, so I (or the boss or whoever) can control their permissions, like one click to disable all of them from writing to the HDD. I know I'd need something along the lines of Microsoft server, but what edition do I get? And automated backups of the data?

and finger print readers, I'm thinking that would make it easier to get on the computer now that they all have passwords... what would you recommend for a finger print reader that you have to swipe the finger across, not just press it (my friend told me how he got past one where you press it)

I'd also like to have the internet controlled... ie no adult sites, no picture sites, no games ect... what program would work well for that?

I've been told they have about 15 computers, but they want to be able to expand to 25 or more.

I know they have a firewall (hardware firewall) so I'd connect the server to the network right past that firewall, assuming that no one else in the building (if there is anyone else) uses that connection. Is that correct?

And finally, what kind of specs would you recommend for this? operton and 3 gigs of ram good? I can figure out the HDD size, but I'm not sure about the cpu and memory sizes.

We run microsoft server 2003, it will be much easier ones you get in it. You will set them all in an access list, and use a group policy for them to log on. You can set permissions for each account when you make them. You will have a folder selected to store all of your users information, user.dat in the server and its pretty easy from there.

For your other question about biometrics, sorry but we have never really used those. The only thing I can suggest is go with a reputable company.

If a business needs a network setup like this, you should really direct them to someone that knows what their doing. Setting this up in a production enviroment when you have no idea what you are doing is a terrible idea.

You have alot to do

-In order to login from any computer and get the same files, you need to setup active directory.
-In order to setup active directory, you need to run your own internal DNS servers
-Their is no "one click" crap about disabling writing to the hard drive
-You obviously need a proper backup solution
-Centralized security solution, requires a fair amount of work to setup
-You need to setup WSUS or something similar to manage windows updates
-To control the internet, you need some sort of proxy server. Most often, you would completely replace the current firewall with one that has an active directory integrated content filter.
-You need to setup a database for WSUS, and likely the centralized security management solution. WSUS also doesn't seem to like mySQL, and seems to like Microsoft databases...

Unlike your desktop PC, you cant download a bunch of software, double click and have everything working perfectly. I should also mention that you shouldn't and don't want to run everything on the same server.

If a business needs a network setup like this, you should really direct them to someone that knows what their doing. Setting this up in a production enviroment when you have no idea what you are doing is a terrible idea.

You have alot to do

-In order to login from any computer and get the same files, you need to setup active directory.
-In order to setup active directory, you need to run your own internal DNS servers
-Their is no "one click" crap about disabling writing to the hard drive
-You obviously need a proper backup solution
-Centralized security solution, requires a fair amount of work to setup
-You need to setup WSUS or something similar to manage windows updates
-To control the internet, you need some sort of proxy server. Most often, you would completely replace the current firewall with one that has an active directory integrated content filter.
-You need to setup a database for WSUS, and likely the centralized security management solution. WSUS also doesn't seem to like mySQL, and seems to like Microsoft databases...

Unlike your desktop PC, you cant download a bunch of software, double click and have everything working perfectly. I should also mention that you shouldn't and don't want to run everything on the same server.

ther current state of the network is not good at all, so whatever is done would be better, but I"d make sure I could do it all before I commit.

a few things:
-the internet doesn't have to be controlled, but if their current firewall supports it then I'll do it.
-server 2003 doesn't have automatic updates like xp can be setup to do?
-if they are all in the same access group, will all their data be in a seperate folder for each of them?
-I see some stuff when looking at server os that is like 1-4cpu does that mean if I have a 4 cpu server it will work, but if I buy the 1cpu version it will not? and the 5clients means that 5 computers ca connect to the server at anytime, or that 5 computers can access the server?

I dont think you are qualified for a setup like this.

Setting up AD correctly is a big job ... once setup you will still need to migrate all the users off of a workgroup and onto the domain. That will take alot of time.

They need somone who knows what they are doing.

Server 2003 has automatic updates ... to update it self.

It also can have wsus server, to update desktops from that server

WSUS only works with sql 2000 or 2005 (free version is fine though for smaller sites)

1-4CPU means that version will work with servers that have 1,2,4 sockets. socket is a phyical cpu .. not a core.

so a server with
1 socket dualcore = 1 cpu (shows up in taskmanager as 2 cpu)
1 socket quadcore = 1 cpu (shows up in taskmanager as 4 cpu)
2 socket dualcore = 2 cpu (shows up in taskmanager as 4 cpu)
2 socket quadcore = 2 cpu (shows up in taskmanager as 8 cpu)
.... ect

5 CAL Client Access License means that the software came with a license for 5 users to access the server. If the place has 15 users they would need to buy 10 CAL (about 300$ if i recall) This is not managed so its upto you to have the correct number of CALs legaly.. the system will not check.

Access groups have nothing to do with data location .. they only control who has access to a folder/file.

*One* server eh? Multi-function server, yikes! But before you can even think of worrying about the server, you need to do your homework and lay out a foundation for the network. How is the network currently setup? Have you looked in the companies frame room to determine if there are enough available ports on the switch for adding the new workstations? Are you going to be responsible for creating and adding more network drops? Which, in that case, you will probably need more patch panels to connect into the switch. Do they even have a frame room with a rack?? Where is their demarc and who are they getting connectivity from?

Back
Top Bottom