Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Server Administration
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 74
Default Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

Hello everybody, I'm Mammoth. I'm 14 and I think I'm crazy because I'm addicted to almost anything computer related, especially hardware and the likes. I even had a dream last night my mom bought me all this crazy hardware like an XFX mobo and graphics cards and a sweet black case.

Now onto the server bit:
If I was to make a rackmount server on the cheap for use as say a regular computer, partial render farm, and mass storage device, what kind of processor would be good, and overall how much stuff (read: money) do I need to dump in it? (Clusters are overall better so assuming I would expand it would be a waste to make one really powerful unit rather than a few weak ones) I was thinking a 4U case with a basic ATX motherboard and a moderately powerful GPU, along with a few gigs of RAM and say a 500GB drive. I'm in Canada so I get fairly screwed over when it comes to buying all this. (No Newegg, so I would resort to Memory Express)

Keep in mind this is hypothetical and I almost definitely won't be making a server. I'm just dreaming about having a cluster in my closet or something crazy like that. (Move this to the right forum if this is the wrong one, please)
__________________

Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
Hello everybody, I'm Mammoth. I'm 14 and I think I'm crazy because I'm addicted to almost anything computer related, especially hardware and the likes. I even had a dream last night my mom bought me all this crazy hardware like an XFX mobo and graphics cards and a sweet black case.

Now onto the server bit:
If I was to make a rackmount server on the cheap for use as say a regular computer, partial render farm, and mass storage device, what kind of processor would be good, and overall how much stuff (read: money) do I need to dump in it? (Clusters are overall better so assuming I would expand it would be a waste to make one really powerful unit rather than a few weak ones) I was thinking a 4U case with a basic ATX motherboard and a moderately powerful GPU, along with a few gigs of RAM and say a 500GB drive. I'm in Canada so I get fairly screwed over when it comes to buying all this. (No Newegg, so I would resort to Memory Express)

Keep in mind this is hypothetical and I almost definitely won't be making a server. I'm just dreaming about having a cluster in my closet or something crazy like that. (Move this to the right forum if this is the wrong one, please)
You could probolly do it for 1200$ or so with a cheap server mobo

Also, I don't think we get screwed over as Canadians on buying stuff. Right now im paying lower prices than Americans for almost all computer parts I purchase (which is a ton)

Yeah I always dream about having a nice cluster in my closet, and a fast internet connection too If you want any help with your idea, I could add you on msn
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 74
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

Maybe we do pay less, but I feel that my local store has much less selection than what's in the States.

..Is a server board necessary for a cheap server, or is the configuration of things physically different so a regular ATX won't fit?
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

So memory express is a local store?

Servers have quite a few differences, yes you can run a server on normal desktop hardware, no problem. However it's not truly a hardware server.

I'll outline some differences for you

Motherboard - Servers usually have longer motherboards, and usually have 2 processor slots and 8 RAM slots. They also usually come with SCSI or SAS for hooking up hard drives.

Power Supply's - Servers have higher rated power supply's, usually parts are rated for 110C instead of 70C for most desktop PSU's. Also servers often have 2 hot swappable power supply's.

CPU's - Servers often use multiprocessor capable proessors like Xeon's or Opretons. Servers also often have 2 pysical processors.

RAM - RAM is usually ECC and buffered, ECC is error correction, and buffered helps with running over 4 DIMM's.

Hard Drives - Servers typically use SCSI or SAS drives, which are commonly 10,000 RPM or 15,000 RPM, and are usually made higher quality. Many servers still use cheaper SATA drives however.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
BSOD
 
monksgeorge21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

i am 12 get a cheap server from
www.novatech.co.uk
wait for windows server 2008 now
monksgeorge21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:00 AM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
RewtGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 595
Send a message via AIM to RewtGuy
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

well, you can get a used server for fairly cheap via ebay. I purchased a sun netra. it's not state of the art, but will do some stuff. I ain't real sure what you're looking for, servers generally don't have powerful GPUs, sounds like you want a desktop to store stuff.
__________________
Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
RewtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 74
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monksgeorge21 View Post
i am 12 get a cheap server from
www.novatech.co.uk
wait for windows server 2008 now
No way am I paying for shipping and customs from the UK. And no Windows for this box, I'll go Linux or something.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27
Send a message via AIM to daboogyman
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

Check local auctions, too. I bought two IBM eServer 1U Rackmounts for $11.

Not bad.
daboogyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboogyman View Post
Check local auctions, too. I bought two IBM eServer 1U Rackmounts for $11.

Not bad.
What model?
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22
Default Re: Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

I bought 3 Dell poweredge 2650's off ebay for 789Pounds + 60 quid P+P each one had 2 2.8ghz xeons and 4GB ram each, but they never had no hard drives so i had to buy myself 8 36gig 15K RPM drives (400 quid off ebay too :P).

The servers wer pretty mashed up though but they still worked, and for 789 pound it was cheap as fuck, money well spent id say
__________________

priteshvarsani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0