Home drives..

joxley1990

Golden Master
Ok, so this is going to be one hell of a question, but Im sure someone will know, someone like DJ Chris lol

So, I have this server up and running, and I can add users, connect to the domain, log on, block users, etc etc, but I would now like to allocate drive space to users.

In college, the students open my computer, and see a mapped drive (our home folder), a shared drive (drive for teachers to put assignements on, which we cannot write to)

We cannot see the Local Drive, as we could mess things up if we had this enabled.

How would I, at home, allocate 500MB of the server's hard drive space, to each other.

IE, when someone makes say a notepad file, and saves it, this is saved to their folder on the server, at the moment, you make a file, and it saves to the workstations hard drives..

I think it's something I need to do here, but I do not know...

On the server, if I go to the D drive (primary storage), and then make a folder called Users, then a Folder called James, what do I put here, so that when I log on, and save files, it will be saved to the server, not to the locak computer...

serverty2.jpg

You set up quotas, by right clicking on the drive and selecting properties, and using the quota tab mate

Okay i can help you quite a bit with this. If i remember right your using server 2003 right? It's been 8 months since i've setup windows domain controllers, so I maybe a tiny bit rusty

To connect your home profile you should have the "home profile" point at something like "\\server\PROFILES" (Or possibly "\\server\PROFILES\%username%"). Obviously you will need to create a share called "PROFILES" on your D drive. You will not need to manually create a folder for each user, as windows will do this for you.

As for permissions for the "PROFILES" share, I believe the default permissions will work. I know you defiantly want SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATOR to be able to access the folder. If your in doubt about permissions, I know their is a default share for user profiles somewhere on your C drive. You could actually just copy the permissions of this folder. If you run "net view \\127.0.0.1" it would output the name of the folder, and if you search for it you should be able to find the folder.

I added you to aim incase you have any problems (and im sure you will)

Ok, i understant ya a bit of a guru with networking, so can i ask you a question, coz i dont understand something. Why are you using 127.0.0.1? i understood this to be a loopback addy for networking, im not being funny about this, im here to learn aswell, so i would value your input on this. Cheers

Raffaz said:
Ok, i understant ya a bit of a guru with networking, so can i ask you a question, coz i dont understand something. Why are you using 127.0.0.1? i understood this to be a loopback addy for networking, im not being funny about this, im here to learn aswell, so i would value your input on this. Cheers

Because running the command "net view \\127.0.0.1" will display all the current non hidden shares. We can verify that the permissions of his new folder are the same as the default server 2003 profile share.

Back
Top Bottom