Help with starting a website???

gangster

BSOD
I just started my own buesiness and I would like to know how do I create a website for it??? I have the background and the Html code for my website. I just need to know how do I set it up. I know I need a domain name. Could someone please tell me everything that I would need to start it???? Thank :confused:

there are two ways you can go about this.

either host the site yourself from your office or buy some hosting.

if you don't know anything about hosting, then I'd definitly recommend that you buy some cheap hosting, this is for your business after all.

if you go that route your steps are, buy hosting, upload files, sit back, relax

if you choose to setup your own webserver then you have to decide a few things.

do you want to use windows or linux.

if you choose windows, then you need to.

install windows and choose IIS from the application servers part of the custom installation menu.

you ned to create a default site in IIS the points to a folder on tht machine.

you then need to put your web pages in that folder

then you need to make sure the machine has all the latest security patches

the you need to configure your firewall/router to forward port 80 requests to that machine.

then you need to regularly apply security patches to the machine

it's basically the same in linux, except instead of applying IIS during the installation you'd probably opt to download and install apache after the installation.

then upload the files to the server

then patch the server

configure the firewall/router

the regularly patch the server.

Hope this quide will help you.
I recommend you to go for Linux, cheaper and there are more hosting options around.
You may also choose a plan with a free domain name included, the host registers it for you and maintains it as long as you stay with them, once you leave it becomes your responsibility. There offerrs like this among Lunarpages.com, Marblehost.com, Hostww.net, Siteground.com.
Good luck with your project!

Hope this quide will help you.
I recommend you to go for Linux, cheaper and there are more hosting options around.
You may also choose a plan with a free domain name included, the host registers it for you and maintains it as long as you stay with them, once you leave it becomes your responsibility. There offerrs like this among Lunarpages.com, Marblehost.com, Hostww.net, Siteground.com.
Good luck with your project!
As for the companies you have mentioned, I'd like to add some words to the reputation of MarbleHost.com (cheap prices and free bonuses) and HostWW.net (various services with discount- freetrial and first month free).

As I know Ahosting.biz offers nice package plans as well. Their prices are rather cheap and thwey are good for business and personal websites.

Make sure that you buy reliable hosting. Often times cheap hosting will promise you a lot of space but will pack clients on a server and you won't actually have the space that they say.

For a company, I'd go with Mediatemple.net. They offer amazing hosting and are extremely reliable.

I Double that,i bought cheap-ass hosting,promising unlimited bandwidth and space.The Servers were slow,Frequently crashing,and one day my website just dissapeared.I Did some investigation,and the company had gone bust :(.

Luckily i had a backup :).

Back
Top Bottom