Game server

RDG1

Beta member
I hope this is in the right place.

One for the tech heads out there.

I am going to start a Football Manager 05 online game with a friend. My PC will be the host and he will connect to me via the internet to play the game.

My question is. If he was to bring his laptop round to my house, would he still be able to connect to the game from the same internet connection as me (I have a wireless ADSL router in my home), or would both computers not be able to connect as they would be using the same internet connection making them technically one PC.

If it is possible to connect to another pc on the same internet connection. Would it be possible to add a game server to this connection and run online games from this server, which I would be able to connect to myself?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated

Cheers

RDG

I myself run my own online game, and whilst it was testing, I ran the server and client on the same PC at the same time. Just enter 1 of the 3 IP's, try them in this order: 1)127.0.0.1 2)localhost 3)<YOUR IP ADDRESS - the number on www.whatismyip.com>

Do you mean having your computer being a "dedicated" server? Or, are you just going to host the game on your computer and play on your computer at the same time?

As for connecting multiple PCs on one internet connection, its possible. For my network, you could use a router and hook them up in this order: Internet -> Router -> All of your PCs Granted, there are other ways to do it. All of your PCs will have (1) external IP, but each PC will have its own unique IP on the LAN (i.e. externally, it could be 142.241.24.1 for all your PCs but inside the LAN, PC #1 could be 192.168.1.101 PC #2 could be 192.168.1.102 etc...)

*crimeny, just saw how long ago this topic was started, sorry about this*

are you going to be playing with just him or a whole bunch of people on ur "server"

if its just you and him, then you can get a program that makes ur IP adress connect to his fooling your computer to tihnk its a lan. otherwise u need a server.

using your computer to host just about any game is not the best of ideas all you will expierence is lag, i suggest either renting out a game server or invite him round and play via a lan

if its only you 2 then dependant on your computer specs and internet connection you ould get away with it

Back
Top Bottom