FTP Server Troubles

jeffpoulsen

Baseband Member
I have been trying to set up an FTP server for remote backup etc. on a Win XP Pro box. It is behind 2 firewalls with a port forwarded to that box. I have also forwarded several ports for PASV mode. I can log in and even upload files and create directories, but am unable to see them on the remote client. I have looked at all the settings that I can. I have used several servers including the one included with XP. I am currently using "Quick 'N Easy FTP" which seems to work fine. I can FTP on the local server. It works fine. But comming in from outside is where I get the issue of not being able to see the directories or files created. What could be the problem?

what OS is the computer from the outside that your using? If it's older than ME than it could be a NetBeu problem where Win98 machines have problems viewing "multiple words" example if the folder is named "Backup Documents" you should try to rename to "Backup_Documents" with the underline. Sometimes the older OS's will have difficulties viewing folders that have split words.

If thats not it than its most likely your firewall, try disabling your software firewall and only leave your hardware firewall on, then see if your able to communicate with that computer remotely.

As a rule I run my local network behind several nat'd firewalls. Its a good thing. As for what os I am using to ftp into the servers network it's XP Pro. The problem I think has to do with the PASV settings and how it relays the port settings to the remote host. I think? What I have for the port settings are : FTP port 54321 for PASV ports 54322 - 54332 on the hosts static ip address. I have the gateway set to forward those ports to the next router or the gateway for the server's network. The same ports are forwarded to the FTP server. I can only set the ports coming into the networks. I assume that when the connection is established the server sends the port configuration to the remote host and the PASV mode is then set up. It seems to work but I still cannot view the files. It works fine on the server using Explorer Browser as FTP;example ftp://username:password@serversip:portxxxxxx where the ip is not the loopback interface. I hope someone can help?

I fixed the problem. All was set up fine with the exception of the PASV ip address setting. I had it set to the local ip address of the server. I needed to be changed to the wan ip address. After that everything works fine.

Back
Top Bottom