ftp permisions (urgent!)

alon

Beta member
I set a ftp site and enableb anonymous login. I want to enable the anonymous user to read but not to write. I set permision for the anonymous user allow read and deny write. Even so the users that logon anonymously can delete folders from the ftp. Can someone explain this and tell me how to correct this.
thanks

you really need to explain what your doing. Is this an FTP SERVER on your computer or a hosting server with a control panel??

a server/os version would ave been helpfull too.

for an easy answer (asuming it's your server and you have directory access)
just remove delete directory permissons for the actual file for the user.

This is Alon again. I am using win2003 server and set up a ftp. I want to set read only for users who log on anonymously. I set permisions for ftp (in iis) and for the ftp directory as allow read and deny write and still the anonymous user can delete directories from ftp. What can I do to fix this?

did you make sepret usernames for the directories and set all permission for anyomous users per a directory?

you can't make seperate usernames for each folder, the server uses thedefault windows accounts to authenticate.

you will have to do one of two things.
Either, set the user access to the directories

or get another FTP server where you can create users.
a good example i bullet proof FTP (which you'll have to pay for). another option is CeaserFTP which is free.
You can find links to both by searching google or download.com.

ftp on windows?! what is this world coming to!

samba and proftpd and *nix = free.
all you'd have to do for this problem for *nix is
chmod a+r a-w -R /path/to/ftp/directory

Back
Top Bottom