Complete noob....

Anonymous User1

Beta member
I recently got a bunch of computer stuff from a friend who moved & was wondering how to set it all up.

He was too busy, to tell me how to do it. But he gave me a compaq Presario 6420NX thats loaded with Windows Server 2003 with 1gb ram & 600gb of storage , along with a Quantum Snap Server 4000 120gb.

I was wondering to use the Quantum server, do I have to use that computer or could I just run it off my main computer?

If I could use my main computer what programs would be needed to run it? I'm basically just looking for somewhere to store extra stuff, instead of on my PC.

What computer would be better to use the Compaq or my main computer?

Thanks.

I recently got a bunch of computer stuff from a friend who moved & was wondering how to set it all up.

He was too busy, to tell me how to do it. But he gave me a compaq Presario 6420NX thats loaded with Windows Server 2003 with 1gb ram & 600gb of storage , along with a Quantum Snap Server 4000 120gb.

I was wondering to use the Quantum server, do I have to use that computer or could I just run it off my main computer?

If I could use my main computer what programs would be needed to run it? I'm basically just looking for somewhere to store extra stuff, instead of on my PC.

What computer would be better to use the Compaq or my main computer?

Thanks.
If you're looking for a place to just store extra files, do this.

1.Make a directory on the servers C:
2. Right click the Directory, and go to sharing and security
3. Share it over the network (networking is another whole ordeal, you could setup a domain if you want now that you have a server, but its not neccesary. Just make sure that the two computers are on the same network and are both members of the same WORKGROUP).
4. Go to your main PC, and map the drive by doing the following:
5. Right Click my Computer>Map Network Drive>Browse>Find the Server>Select the Directory you previously setup.
6. Hit Ok

Now when you go to My Computer on your main computer, there will be another drive (whatever letter you assigned to it when you mapped it). Double Click on it, and it will bring up the directory on the server as if it was a drive attached to your computer. If you want to be able to add files to it, just make sure that you setup the permissions on the server to allow people to edit the contents of the folder.

Or: You could take out the hard-drives and use them externally or as a slave and save a bunch of money on electricity, then sell the server if you aren't going to be using it for anything else other than file sharing.

Back
Top Bottom