Building a Home Server

Speaking of that root, would you or anyone else recommend a certain version of Windows Server? I can start with XP, but if someone has used a server version of Windows, I'd be happy to try it.

XP isn't really a server OS, (but you can use it to host a website, or files, but it's not very good as a mail server for example) -at least not without 3rd party software.

I would recommend 2003 but it'll be out of support soon enough.

2008 is very (very good).
but is a bit expensive.

R2 has a load of cool features.

if you're aufait with windows XP then 2003 will be the same with no reall changes to the way that you use the system.

if you use vista or 7 then you'll likely have no issues with 2008.

Whilst obviously not the only option, have you considered using this as a learning experience to get going with linux or unix? There's lots of guides online as to how to set them up as servers, it's really not that tough - and of course if you don't like them you can go back to windows easily enough.

There's lots of guides online as to how to set them up as servers, it's really not that tough

There are many of us that have setup linux or unix server in your home or work environments so we would be more than willing to help you through it step by step.

Awesome, this sounds like everything I've dreamed of ;) I've been wanting to set up a home network forever, but didn't know how to go about it... and it sounds sort of easy.

The University I work at used 2003 and I think they're stil in the process of going to 08. I'll probably go with 08 as well.

So, when I looked this up a long time ago I didn't find anything. But are there any guides to setting up an FTP network?

-Q

By the way, I'm a Windows user. I've tried linnux and you can get used to it... but I would stick with Winows personally. I'm sure these guys would be more than happy to help you, but it would prove to be a very lengthy process, at least more lengthy than using an OS that you already know. If you're like me in any way, and are excited to get this thing set up and want to see what all you can do with FTP... well I would go with Windows ;) And probably try linux in the future. Maybe.

Whilst obviously not the only option, have you considered using this as a learning experience to get going with linux or unix? There's lots of guides online as to how to set them up as servers, it's really not that tough - and of course if you don't like them you can go back to windows easily enough.
It would also be a learning experience to use Windows! :D

I've tried linnux and you can get used to it... but I would stick with Winows personally. I'm sure these guys would be more than happy to help you, but it would prove to be a very lengthy process, at least more lengthy than using an OS that you already know.
There's no reason it should be a very lengthy process - back in the days when Gentoo was the only sensible option then maybe. Now that we've got the likes of Ubuntu around, it really shouldn't be lengthy unless you run into lots of difficulties...

Speaking from the perspective of someone who's equally comfortable with working on windows as linux, from a technical angle linux really would be better for this task (less resource hogging, more reliable, much more secure, potentially faster) if set up correctly. Windows will of course work without a problem either (or at least should do!) so it's really a moot point what one you choose. I'm merely throwing linux out there as an option - and an easier one than you might think.

I have a home server for file and printer sharing. Just a simple P4 system I built from parts lying around with a 500GB shared drive setup on RAID1. I use XP Pro as the OS. I'm only sharing between 2 systems and they are both Windows systems. File and printer sharing just works so much easier if the server OS is also Windows. I really wanted to do Linux a long time ago, but never could figure out how to just share a drive and printer for my other systems to find. I can do it in 2 seconds on XP. I don't use FTP or anything, so a server OS for 2 shared systems is kinda pointless (I did use Server 2003 at one time).

I really wanted to do Linux a long time ago, but never could figure out how to just share a drive and printer for my other systems to find.
One word here: samba. :)

What about Printer sharing? How do you get your average printer to work in linux?
Samba again - combined with CUPS (common unix printing server.) Once you've installed cups and made sure you can use your printer successfully that way, you just need to create a samba entry for your printer in smb.conf.

Windows machines should then view it as a normal printer attached to your server.

Back
Top Bottom