Backup

Sharpy1

In Runtime
If I added more hdd's to my system data drives 2x2tb an used windows to mirror the two drives to protect my photos and then backed one of the 2tb drives up to a nas in a raid 5 4x4tb array amd finally a backup photos folder again to an external hdd's how safe do you think my photos would be detailed answer please

Also can you boot off a cloned version of your os drive a full 1:1 clone

If all of the backups are kept in the same building then not as safe as they could be. It is recommended for truly important data, at least 1 backup copy should be kept at a different site. With all backups in the same building, a catastrophe like a fire that burns the building down could wipe out everything.

If the backup drives are all connected to the computer that is being backed up then the risk is that if someone were to break in and steal the computer, they would also take any drives attached to it. For this reason, it's important that local backups are not kept in the same location within the building.

Each backup is in differnet rooms I no ideally one should be off site I mean in terms of set to and can you boot off a cloned hdd

Sharpy is this a school project? If not you are really paranoid about losing something.

The mirrored drives will be exact copies of each other. Adding more backup of a backup corruption will eventually creep in. I know your pics are as important to you as mine are to me. But trust me, pick one backup method and run with that.
Every backup method has it strong points and its weaknesses. You just pick the lesser of two evils and run with it.

But this over and over new threads asking basically the same question is getting nowhere.

No this is definitely not for a school project part of a personal project yes and personal data is important it's extremely easy to loose your data through various things and having 3 backups is the way it's done properly enterprise level and they don't want to loose there data the same as I don't want to loose mine and the different posts are for different things ideas for builds ect

And as for corruption the backups are always made of the master data and image and checksum processed so am sure data isn't getting corrupt it could on the two striped drives if something went wrong but that's just the place it stores and then backs up from

Last edited:
Sharpy is this a school project? If not you are really paranoid about losing something.

The mirrored drives will be exact copies of each other. Adding more backup of a backup corruption will eventually creep in. I know your pics are as important to you as mine are to me. But trust me, pick one backup method and run with that.
Every backup method has it strong points and its weaknesses. You just pick the lesser of two evils and run with it.

But this over and over new threads asking basically the same question is getting nowhere.

Could the data get corrupted by the mirrored drives is that making it safer or adding a chance for corruption I no if something happens during the save of the picture I would have two bad pictures showing as one picture off the mirrored drive but I check that as people wirelessly backup to that folder and that folder auto syncs 1 way to a nas in raid 5 also storing DVD rips so that's fine and I do a monthly backup of the photos on the mirrored drive once a month so the only place that you have to worry about data getting damaged is during the write to the mirrored drives as that is the master copy and the one on the nas is a gen 1 backup same as the ext hdd it's not copy's of copy's lol

So should I use the mirrored drive or keep it on a single drive?

The drive is mirrored by the OS.

This protects against hardware failure of your online copy.

E.g. you're storing data on disk 1, this is automatically backed up to disk 2,
if disk 1 fails you still have disk 2 available.

BUT, if you delete the file on disk 1, or you get some virus that corrupts files on disk 1, the changes are automatically copied to disk 2, (including delete or corrupts).

it doesn't add additional chances for data corruption, the point is that it's not a backup tool to guard against data loss, it's a method to keep an online copy in the event of hardware failure. (e.g. you still have access to your files. even if 1 hard drive breaks)

it's a single online copy, it's considered 1 copy for the "enterprise level" that you are talking about.

backing up that drive to your NAS and then to your external hard drive sounds good, but how are you doing this?

if you're synchronizing data at a given time, does that include synchronizing delete events? and corruption?

e.g. are you synchronizing all changes and overwriting the backup data. - if your files have become corrupted that may include a change in the modified date. if you got that virus that encrypts all files, that definitely includes the modified date changing, so you may write over your good copy on NAS before you even realize that your local copy is bad?

same how you copy to external HDD...

of course it all depends on the method of how you make your copy...

Then you have the issue that all your files are in one location, so in the event your house burns down then all your copies are lost.

Thanks for the in depth answer root.

I will tell you the process.

All of the pictures and videos stored on tablets a phones get synced to the servers mirrored drive with a app and companion app via wifi,

That copy of the photos and videos is then auto synced with the nas via its own companion app think it syncs any changes made eg new files / deleted files removed I think it's like a mirror of the mirrored drives thinking about it.

I then use a backup program manually and weekly to backup the photos and videos stored on the servers mirrored drives to the external drive doing a full backup monthly and a differential backup weekly.

Thinking about it now tho I do see quite a danger of corruption or viruses

I want these photos to be fail safe and locally stored

And as for the house burning down that's something a will take care of a might make a extra monthly backup and store it at a different house

Back
Top Bottom