Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Windows 7 or Windows 8

I currently have Windows 8. The computer is used mainly for The Microsoft Flight Simulator. From the opinion of many simmers Windows 7 is better. They claim there are certain issues with Windows 8 that could cause problems. I have a Windows 7 Home Premium disc. right here on my shelve. How difficult would it be to change my operating system ? I have a WD External Hard Drive, would I have to do something with that? Thanks in advance

jetsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Windows 7 or Windows 8

It's easy to Install another OS.
Just boot up the disk, Chose advance setup, Delete your drive and press install.
It's should be straight forward.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
In Runtime

My flight simulator is on C drive along with many add ons. Some add ons are on the eteternal hard drive. What do I do with all that?
jetsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

well you will have to take backup off all the data you don't want to lose.
When formatting you are gonna lose all data on the C drive. (BTW: plug out all external drives so you don't accidentally format the wrong one)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Are you having any problems using your flight simulator software on Windows 8? You said some people said it could cause problems, but do you have any? If you aren't having issues then I would not bother with changing the OS.

It may not be quite as easy to do as BikerEcho has indicated. If your laptop is UEFI based instead of BIOS based (many newer computers that come pre-installed with Windows 8 are UEFI based) then there are extra steps you will need to take to be able to install a new OS. Here's a YouTube video that shows what you need to do in case of a UEFI based computer:

As Biker said, you will lose everything on your boot drive so you will need to reinstall all of your addons. Your data can be backed up and restored but all of your programs will need to be reinstalled.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote