Where from here?

Starr

Daemon Poster
I just finished my first C++ book. It was excellent. I covered: Loops, If/Else statements, Arrays, Functions, Character C-String and C++ String Class Functions, Pointers, File input and output, and Structures and classes. Now my dilema is where do I go from here? Should I maybe pick up on another language. Programming is my hobby and I am 15 years old. I was thinking of maybe getting into OS programming when I get older (yes, I know I won't have a life). I was thinkning of maybe picking up on C# or going into more advanced topics of C++. If I were to continue on C++ what is next for me. What should I look for next to expand my knowledge base? If it helps I read the book "Programming DeMystified" by Jeff Kent. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Stick with C++.

You've already gone to the trouble of learning quite a lot (I'm a C++ programmer - I can tell you here and now you've covered most of the key concepts, but they exist in all languages), and the skills you've learnt are transferrable should you want to change languages in the future.

C++ reaps benefits when you get better at it, trust me.

Yeah, stick with C++, its worth it. Loads of new Programmers are coming into it, very few are bothering to learn C++.

Work on a Project though, if you have learnt that much the best idea is to make something, and learn through it by coming across things you didn't know how to do before and learning that then.

Thank you, yea I wrote a program that converted US to metrics and vice versa it was pretty neat. I am doing one now that is a Student Classification system. It asks for a students name and date of birth. Then it asks how many grades of of the students you want averaged. Then you enter in the grades and it averages them and it saves it to the file students.txt. I finished it but I keep getting a wierd linking error and I can't quite figure it out. It isn't a compile error because the program compiles but whe I go to link it, it gives me two errors.

I am also looking for some tutorials that I can pick up where I left off. I was looking at the book Visual C++ by Microsoft. I will have to read some reviews about it. But if you have any suggestions for tutorials or books I will greatly appreciate it.

Ok, so have I learned enough to get right started into OOP or is there something I am missing? If there is let me know so I can loo it up and get familiar with it.

Starr said:
Ok, so have I learned enough to get right started into OOP or is there something I am missing? If there is let me know so I can loo it up and get familiar with it.

You say you've studies structs and classes. That's what you need for object oriented programming.

You have a class, with certain methods and variables (member data) within it. Then you create a new object by creating an instance of the class.

Your book should have taught you all of that. If not, there are many free tutorials online, or ask me again :)

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yeah, stick with C++, its worth it. Loads of new Programmers are coming into it, very few are bothering to learn C++.

That's contradictory, did you mean very few are bothering to learn C#?

You know what, I was thinking that same thing. It didn't quite make sense.

Sounds like you're ready for OOP to me. Dive in. Get a good OOP C++ book and dig like a sandworm into it. Also get some GUI books. What compiler/IDE are you using?

I'm not sure what the C++/C++ thing meant either, but if he did mean to type C# I'm not sure that it's a true statement. If you're programming for a living, C++ often has too large of a development time for tight deadlines (of course not always) so "quickie" languages seem to be in demand these days. An IS recruiter told me he sees more job openings for .NET programmers than any others these days.

Right now I am using the 2005 Express version of Visual C++, free from Microsofts website.

Come school time when I get my tablet PC back from school I will be using Visual Studio .net 2003. Unless, of course, they update it, which I doubt.

I was thinking of maybe learning C# or perl or something interesting like LISP.

Edit: Do you recommend any OOP books?

Back
Top Bottom