What to program?

trleighton

Beta member
Wanted to ask...

What should i program? I have plenty of spare time, and i am quite good at Visual Basic 5.
I am quite limited, due to being skint , and using VB5 CCE and HTA's for my apps.

Anything u guys wuld like to see more of? or anything u wuld like?

:)

cheers

I'd say don't bother with HTAs (Hyper text aplication), they were a bad idea, and most advice says to block them by default.

VB is a good idea, though If I were you I'd go for at least VB6 (there is no language change bu ththere are compilation differences).
or VB.net, the .net language does change somewhat from the classic VB though, so watch out.

Well, i dont earn any money, and VB6 is very expensive. (Student)

Is there any other visual basic compilers or linkers that would compile the VB5 CCE exe projects? or can you recommend a different visual basic type program that is free, or free for non-commercial use?

my best suggestion is to go here as you'll get some compoler programs for free, there is no real comparisson for visual basic in other programs.

ive tried with programs such as lccwin32 because it hase visual form designer, but i always get compilationl errors, every time.

is there another compiler for visual basic, or a way to make vb5cce compile exes, even under 200kb

Edit:

OR, is there a program that will make an OCX into an exe?

Java

I am now using JAVA (Great Language :) )

Im using JBulder 2005 Foundation (FREE!)

Could anyone tell me how to display a frame, when i try, i get a window about 1/50th the size of the screen!

Help!

If you're going to take on VB.NET, you may as well take on C#.NET. Because it's a "curly bracket" language (like C, C++, etc.) it looks better on a resumé. Plus, learning C#.NET is just about as hard as learning VB.NET coming from VB5 or 6. The biggest downside is price. Visual Studio.NET gets pricey fast. Not to mention the volumes of books required to learn the thing. But, it's an in-demand language these days (since .NET is not a beginner's platform).

But I think your original question was "WHAT should I program?" not "What should I program IN?" In the past I've programmed programs with an educational bent: a database of the Roman Emporers or popes which showed how each of them died or salient facts about their reigns - the challenge in this was all UI and trying to top what's already out there; Spanish verb finders with database and scripting for regular verbs. Probably the best thing to do is try to outdo something that already exists.

Back
Top Bottom