What is a .EXE file?

Gonavitch

Solid State Member
Does anybody know what a .exe file is written with, what language is it?
I have tried to make a .exe file by typing in a bunch of jumbled letters, numbers, hyphens, and other weird signs, but it never worked I would get an alert that would say something like:
This is not a Win32 application
Why is this? How can I actually make a .exe file work?
Does anybody know what language it uses?
I was reading something yesterday about .exe files and they said something about C and C++.
Are .exe files written in C or C++?
Then compiled into code?
And then jumbled into letters, numbers, hyphens, and other weird signs?

.exe = program (example: notepad.exe)
An .exe is a file in a format that the computer can directly execute. Unlike source files, executable files cannot be read by humans. To transform a source file into an executable file, you need to pass it through a compiler or assembler. Their are several languages you can use to create an .exe(executable) file. My language of choice is C++. When writing a program you write the code....compile it....then run it...in a nutshell atleast. If you plan on learning to program I would try out QBasic.....

Thanks!

Thanks! I already knew it was a program I just wanted to know how to create an .exe file, but thanks to you, I know a little more. Yes I have been planning on learning to programming, but didn't know were to start so one day I found something on JavaScript, but it just wasn't enough since I can only use it on the web, and not to actually use it to write a program.
Where would I go about learning QBasic?
What kind of compiler or assembler do I need?

Qbasic is not very powerfull and cannot e compiled into an EXE file.
You could use Visual basic, C, C++, Delphi.
Before any one language is recomended what sort of application are you actually trying to make? - it will depend a lot on what application will best suit your needs.

As a matter of fact....QB programs can be compiled into executables. I agree with the fact that QB is not powerfull, but it is a good language to start with when trying to grasp the concepts of programming. Of course that also depends on what he is trying to create, as you said root. So...what are you trying to write?

Games!

Games is kinda of what I had in mind, but theres always time for others, like a drawing program.

QBasic may be exactly what you need. Its great for making small games like pong, asteroids, pacman....crap like that. When you start wanting to make "drawing" programs or more advanced games, then it'll be time to start learning a high-level language such as C++, C, Pascal, Delphi...something along those lines. For programing in QBasic, you'll need QBasic v4.5 or higher(7.1). I like 4.5....I'll give you a link to it..click here.... I can send you a program or two I wrote to help you out along the way...you'll have to figure out the syntax on your own....but feel free to contact me anytime for help on this subject.....

Gonavitch said:
Does anybody know what a .exe file is written with, what language is it?
I have tried to make a .exe file by typing in a bunch of jumbled letters, numbers, hyphens, and other weird signs, but it never worked I would get an alert that would say something like:
This is not a Win32 application
Why is this? How can I actually make a .exe file work?
Does anybody know what language it uses?
I was reading something yesterday about .exe files and they said something about C and C++.
Are .exe files written in C or C++?
Then compiled into code?
And then jumbled into letters, numbers, hyphens, and other weird signs?

An .exe is an executeable file.You must have dclicked a few.
You can't rename mypic.jpg to mypic.exe.You can't write a letter,.txt and make it an .exe.
That where file association comes in.
An .exe is many thousands of lines of programing that is then converted to "machine Code"
You need a Programing edu to do this stuff.
:rolleyes:

Huh!

Why are you explaning all of this to me I know what it is, Dark Reaction already explaned every thing you just said to me.
I have known for years that I need a college degree! Thats kind of already been said to me once before on a forum (Not this one!)
Just so you know i'm only 14 years old but I know enough!
But theres a lot more I will learn, and I will be a computer programmer!!!

Back
Top Bottom