Visual C++ Error

jimlau

Beta member
i'm trying to resurrect a visual c++ 6.0 program i wrote 6 years ago, on another computer. the program compiles, but i get

an error part way through its execution:

Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder (3)\project files\Release\game.exe', no matching symbolic

information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfc42.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTFIME.IME', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
The thread 0xA30 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xA64 has exited with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).
The program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder (3)\project files\Release\game.exe' has exited with code

-1073741819 (0xC0000005).

anyway, i can't figure out how to make a debug version so that i can step through the source code. i went to project

settings and in the debug window i put the path name of the debug executable. nothing else. under tools/options, i'm not

sure what should be set there.

could someone let me know how to set-up a debug program and/or tell what might be going wrong?

i'm running on windows xp, like before, and using visual studio 6.0, like before (tho a different installation of it,

possibly a different version?).

thanks.

jimlau,

I have seen this before because of Data Execution Prevention (DEP), the security features in Windows (starting with SP2) that prevents code execution from non-executable memory segments.

0xc0000005 error case 10: Development Issue

If you are a software developer and you keep getting an exception with status code STATUSACCESSVIOLATION (0xC0000005), your program might attempt to violate DEP. You could try the following: If your application is designed to use executable memory, it must have this attribute set on the appropriate memory by specifying PAGEEXECUTE, PAGEEXECUTEREAD, PAGEEXECUTEREADWRITE or PAGEEXECUTEWRITECOPY in the memory protection argument of the Virtual memory allocation functions.

If the above solutions don't help run your program in debugger. Maybe you haven't initialized the pointer correctly. When debugger stops on a violation simply check the call stack and open every file until you see what piece of code produced the violation.

Hopefully this helps.

Back
Top Bottom