Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #31
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Summer Project

rock band pc, bomber man 3d (easy), or a really sweet rpg.

offline standalone with some online capabilities but thats really hard to program.

and lets code name it "The Project"

i'll use this :

http://sketchup.google.com/

http://www.inivis.com/

for or models unless anyone has a good free model 3ds maker software.

2.3 tricore phenom,2 GB RAM , EVGA 9600 GSO,250 GB SSD
2.6 X4 620, 4GB RAM, 9600 GSO, 500 GB HDD/I'm part of The Project
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #32
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace777 View Post
rock band pc, bomber man 3d (easy), or a really sweet rpg.

offline standalone with some online capabilities but thats really hard to program.

and lets code name it "The Project"

i'll use this :

http://sketchup.google.com/

http://www.inivis.com/

for or models unless anyone has a good free model 3ds maker software.
It's been ages since I've worked with VB. I doubt I could do any graphical games.

colorblindjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #33
Guru

Sorry guys, I've been away a while. I was gone the 4th because, well, it was the 4th. The 5th I had a friend over and I also was reformatting my computer. And yesterday, I went to a lake and had to reformat my computer again because the InstallShield wizard was broken and my drivers were gone.

Anyways, I've never really worked with 3D models, I'll have to get a quick tutorial in that. If it's just giving it a name, and using the name to program then I'll be fine. From my background, I'm sure there will be some code necessary to donate an object name to the model and such. I'm would like to take on that task if there is such. There's always time to be learning.

I think we should first make the game. Then come back and add online capabilities. Setting up milestones and going step-by-step might be the safest way (as in less errors to deal with). I've seen an rpg made out of DirectX and C++. In fact I believe I posted a link to it. If were going to tackle that on we need a bigger team. And we need specialized people. I would say 3-4 programmers, 2-3 modelers (if there is such a word), and a couple others to manage websites and organization and such. And we can even advertise.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #34
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456

ok i think a graphical game will be really difficult in vb.

i dont really see visual basic as a game programming language, and have we decided its def a game were making now ?

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #35
Guru

I think a game is probably the best choice. If we try anything else we're going to have to use the .NET framework, and with stuff nowadays, it will most likely have to have online capabilities. I mean, we could make a calculator or something, but it's too simple. If you can come up with any other ideas just toss them out here and we'll discuss.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #36
Fully Optimized

An old style game like galaga or space invaders would be cool. The only problem is that I wouldn't know how to do something like that. I once saw someone do it by using drawing their own pictures, then setting them to move around and using conditional statements. It has been awhile since I've worked with VB.NET so something like that would probably be over my head.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
An old style game like galaga or space invaders would be cool. The only problem is that I wouldn't know how to do something like that. I once saw someone do it by using drawing their own pictures, then setting them to move around and using conditional statements. It has been awhile since I've worked with VB.NET so something like that would probably be over my head.
Stuff like that looks hard, but it's really easy once you get into it. I've done that before on VB in the same way you described. It looks horrible and doesn't take time at all. I'm sure if we work together we can get something to look like Counter-Strike graphics or something.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #38
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Sorry guys, I've been away a while. I was gone the 4th because, well, it was the 4th. The 5th I had a friend over and I also was reformatting my computer. And yesterday, I went to a lake and had to reformat my computer again because the InstallShield wizard was broken and my drivers were gone.

Anyways, I've never really worked with 3D models, I'll have to get a quick tutorial in that. If it's just giving it a name, and using the name to program then I'll be fine. From my background, I'm sure there will be some code necessary to donate an object name to the model and such. I'm would like to take on that task if there is such. There's always time to be learning.

I think we should first make the game. Then come back and add online capabilities. Setting up milestones and going step-by-step might be the safest way (as in less errors to deal with). I've seen an rpg made out of DirectX and C++. In fact I believe I posted a link to it. If were going to tackle that on we need a bigger team. And we need specialized people. I would say 3-4 programmers, 2-3 modelers (if there is such a word), and a couple others to manage websites and organization and such. And we can even advertise.

ill model FTW!!!!! and maybe some design and programming (slightly) id like to be the story and graphical artist.

and btw vb can be used on a 360 so id doubles as a fun game project.
2.3 tricore phenom,2 GB RAM , EVGA 9600 GSO,250 GB SSD
2.6 X4 620, 4GB RAM, 9600 GSO, 500 GB HDD/I'm part of The Project
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #39
Guru

Ok. We have a mess though. What language are we using? I need to know so I can learn how to use models in that language. We also have to be thinking about what non-graphical programming needs to be done (IE: time).
Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #40
muz
Golden Master

dunno how difficult it would be but how about a hardware benchmarking or stressing utility