Run Ipconfig to find IP adress

Shutle

Baseband Member
Hi I tried runing this to find my Ip adress and the program flashes on the screen to fast for me to see it, I think theres a problem with my MS-DOS because when I click on D:\WINDOWS\_default.pif it says Invalid program file name. I have my IP adress now but why doesnt ipconfig run properly is there a way to se if DOS is damaged or if it works?

IPconfig does run properly...

It runs, and it finishes...
it just so happens that it all happens too fast for you to see it...

here is the process...

IPconfig runs,
invokes a command prompt to display results,
displays results.
IP config finishes
closes command prompt as this was just an ancillary process...

Try doing it this way around...

Open a command prompt
(either type command, or cmd in the run box)
now type IP config...
once you've read the results feel free to close the command prompt yourself.

or try typing
ipconfig >> c:\ipaddress.txt and then read the information from the text file (C:\ipaddress.txt)

Whilst this isn't relevant to this thread, it's relevant to a lot of other threads,
when a program finishes running it closes, the same is true of the simple helo world programs, where people say there is just a flash, it's fine and it's working,
it is normal program behaviour to close an ancillary process when it's finished!

concerning this adding system(pause) or getchar() statements to the end of hello world programs is *not* generally good practise as it causes them to stay on the screen in the way, and it prevents other processes from completing assuming that they have called them.

Back
Top Bottom