Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to GSisaac
Default Re-writing Python Program

Greetings,

I'm "the computer guy" for a new small business and have minimal programming experience.

The project I'm currently tasked with is converting a small (30mb) program coded in Python to a web application. It is basically a Graduated interval recall rating system for pictures and text. I considered converting the code to java through a converter (WebBrowserProgramming - PythonInfo Wiki), but the program has to access a server to collect and store data and I believe it has to be server side not client side. I'm rather inexperience with this any help in pointing me to resources on converting python to web code would be much appreciated.

GSisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Re-writing Python Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSisaac View Post
Greetings,

I'm "the computer guy" for a new small business and have minimal programming experience.

The project I'm currently tasked with is converting a small (30mb) program coded in Python to a web application. It is basically a Graduated interval recall rating system for pictures and text. I considered converting the code to java through a converter (WebBrowserProgramming - PythonInfo Wiki), but the program has to access a server to collect and store data and I believe it has to be server side not client side. I'm rather inexperience with this any help in pointing me to resources on converting python to web code would be much appreciated.
Is that 30mb of python code? If it is, then it's an awful lot of code, and you've got a lot of work ahead of you! If it's compiled with something like py2exe, then you might be alright .

Python can be used as a web programming language! There are frameworks out there like Django and Bottle that you might be able to use to make this easier. If you're more familiar with python than anything else, you might be best off doing something like that.

As far as automated code conversion goes... I'd probably stay away, especially since you're going from a desktop application to a web application.

Just realised this is a fairly hefty bump. Sorry about that.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
python

« C++ | Basic »