Programming - where to start

I think first of all you should start with C and C++. These are mother language after that you can switch yourself in any platform, because all language have same concept as mother language.

I completely disagree (especially the bit I've highlighted in bold!) What do you mean by mother languages? There's no such thing, admittedly C and C++ have been around a while, especially C, but this doesn't necessarily make them "must learn" and "mother" languages. If anything the opposite - their use is fading fast these days.

And all languages most definitely do not have the same concepts as C and C++. Ever tried Haskell? ;)

You should start with visual basic 2010/.net/visual studio (id go with visual basic or visual studio) so just type "Visual Basic Express Edition" and download that i took lessons on youtube just wachibg pepole ive been on visual basic since i was 10 years old in 2 years i was rocking now im 15 and im going to do the same thing but just with C++!

You should start with visual basic 2010/.net/visual studio (id go with visual basic or visual studio) so just type "Visual Basic Express Edition" and download that i took lessons on youtube just wachibg pepole ive been on visual basic since i was 10 years old in 2 years i was rocking now im 15 and im going to do the same thing but just with C++!

If your quality of programming is equivalent to your use of punctuation and understanding of grammar then you're a perfect example as to why the above is a bad idea...

First of all you should start with C and C + +. This is the main concept language, you can switch yourself on any platform, because all languages have the same concept as the main language.

I started with C, but then my approach to a new topic is to throw myself head first into the the deepend. It is really scary to start with but you learn good practices and code standards FAST, it's either that or throw your computer out the window. But then not everyone is planning on coding for a living and if not then C is probably a bad starting place.

I do disagree with your assessment of Java though. I think new comers should start in a non-OO language, or at least one that lets you program in a non OO manner. If I had a nickle for every time someone asked me why they have to write "public class OMGMYFILE { public static void main(String []args) {}}" ... Anyways the point is I think that the amount of overhead and superfluous (from a beginners stand point) syntax can be confusing.

Which brings me back to C, it gives you an understanding of concepts such as memory management, good Data Structures and efficiency without providing key words for things that should actually be functions.

Then again maybe I'm just letting my C-fanboy nature get the better of me.

Gotta say i completely agree if you are starting young as it's easy to pick up and can be alot of fun! I remember making Lottery Number Generators, cool alarm clocks, i phished by sister's hotmail account using a nifty lil' program (hehehe). I made a simple 'iPod' by taking ideas from all of the well-known apps and re-inventing them to make it possible to put them into a computer program and also made a few 'Game Trainers' for flas games (basically a .exe running the game with buttons changing the variables to get $10,000 in game for example!)

C or C++ and C++ OO programming C++ OO is very hard without understanding the concept of OO programming.

I think programming language should be begin from the HTML.It is easy language.No problem of upper and lower- case letters.After this language Programming tools and technique such as algorithm and flow chart should be learn then others such as C,C++etc.

Programming

So, writing a computer program can be like composing music, like building a house, like creating lots of stuff. It has been argued that in its current state, it is an Art, not engineering.
======================

Back
Top Bottom