Programming Project

rdonovan1

Beta member
I am attempting to do a project relating to Real Estate Investing on my computer that will help me to make calculations relating to different Real Estate Properties. I have a program that was written in Excel years ago by someone else that relates to it, but it no longer works and I personally think that something like this could be accomplished in something Microsoft Access using VBA or perhaps in a language like Visual Basic.

I am wondering as to what you guys think might be my best bet for doing this. Should I do it in Access and use VBA or is there a better way that I can do this. I want to make this as user friendly as I can so that all the correct information related to a particular property is entered into the program, stored in something like a database and and will return the correct values and information. The idea behind it is for me to take a property address and it's correlating information, enter that into the program, store it and have it perform calculations relating to that property and then return that information back to me so that I can see at a glance if a particular piece of property is going to be worth the investment and how it compares to others.

There is 1 professional software program out on the market that relates to this, but it is expensive to buy. I have Office 365 (with Access) on my computer and I have Visual Studio 2017 on my computer. I however don't know as to what would be the best way to go with this kind of project.

Based on what you described, what you want could be accomplished in either Excel or VBA.

What is your level of VBA or Access knowledge? I would go with the one you are most knowledgeable/comfortable with and proceed from there.

Based on what you described, what you want could be accomplished in either Excel or VBA.

What is your level of VBA or Access knowledge? I would go with the one you are most knowledgeable/comfortable with and proceed from there.

My level of knowledge relating Excel and Access probably about intermediary. I have never done any programming with VBA in the past. My programming experience has been with languages like QBasic, C, and C++.

I've played with those languages years ago, but it has admittedly been a very long time. The original program that I am trying to copy was written by someone else in Excel and did use some VBA, but the program is old and does allow for one to save the details as a record like Access would.

I've been looking at taking what they did and putting it into Access as that would allow the data to be saved a s record for future use (if needed).

Excel can act as a DB, the columns are the fields and each row in the spreadsheet is equivalent to a row in the DB. It shouldn't be difficult to add the ability to save the data to the existing VBA. You could even add the ability to save and retrieve the data to an Access DB from the existing VBA.

Back
Top Bottom