Is programming the only CS job that will survive?

And those that remain will be the crappy ones like installing, etc.
indeed, I quite specifically said that there would likely be no robots physically installing servers, however, physically installing a server does not preclude also setting up the software on those servers.

(though ironically robots would be far better suited, (physically smaller and stronger!) to do equipment installation, the issues really come when doing a task like tracing cables... and of course that sort of equipment is going to be expensive, take quite a lot of space, and probably require an operator to run it, (so if you have to end a guy anyway he may as well do it!)

a case in point is a series of jobs I've done this year and last, all have involved traveling, (I'm UK based, and spent a little over five weeks in the US [2 visits for separate jobs] a couple of weeks in south america, and a few weeks in European countries.)

At some point in my visits, I had reason to go into a server room, even lifting floor and roof tiles, and yet at the end of the day that's not my job.

Sure it can be a part of my job, but, all these countries I've gone to are developed countries, and in the case of the US, I clearly wouldn't have gotten a visa to work if I hadn't actually had a real 'technical' job to do. - I wouldn't have gotten a working visa to be a cable puller, there are plenty of these already in the states, the job I actually do is setting up the equipment.

so this is the part where you arrive onsite install the equipment, and setup at least a base configuration to enable outside connectivity, - it may be that in future this is where the robots take over. but someone/something has to get to that working state first.

There may be crappy parts of a job... but that doesn't mean that the "real job" at the end of the day may not be either technical or rewarding.

if the ability to do the odd bit of creative thinking or fit ting into tight spaces, interacting with an understanding end users and their requirements are what "saves" my job, then I'm going to have to take that.

That's why you are no expert. :)
are you? - and what in/at?

I feel like my anecdote about no robot being able to iron out general end user ignorance has caused a tangent.

At least where I live, people here have seen iRobot and we don't mind having robots making our cars but robots working front-of-house in most businesses is still far beyond what most of our majority-conservative population would stand for.

I am not arguing. I know how it works.

Yes, and based on what you said, I was right.

-meaningless crap-

The rest of the marketing group was basically doing the work I assigned them and I used that data to do my job. {What I said}

-more meaningless crap-

-excuse about being off-topic-

What about market segmentation, research, communications, etc? Is that not a part of marketing?

Advertising is just one part of the communication process.

What did you advertise? Why? How? What kind of people was your advertisement directed to?

Or maybe, someone else answered those questions for you, and you just made the visual output of all that work? I'm thinking the latter. {Exactly what you said}

Not an expert. Those don't exist in real life. The best one can do is be a student and learn every day. Those that claim expertise will be out of date tomorrow if not already.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Yes, and based on what you said, I was right.

Completely got that wrong. Not too shocked though.
What else do you want to talk about?

Is it just me, or is there some animosity floating around in here? :lol:

Peace and love and high clockspeeds guys <3

LOL ever since I pointed out the mistakes in a guide he made, he's been combative. :)
Nothing to worry about.
I certainly don't.
God Bless and Peace to you as well.

LOL ever since I pointed out the mistakes in a guide he made, he's been combative. :)
Nothing to worry about.
I certainly don't.
God Bless and Peace to you as well.
You certainly said there were mistakes... When I asked you which ones those mistakes were you changed the subject.

Besides, you are the only one that has altercations with everybody here. I think you are having trouble finding the common denominator.

Actually, you said, 'ok, I'll make those changes'
How quickly we forget.

Really, Who cares? lol You be my guest and think what you like so you are happy and I'll be happy with that too. :)

Back
Top Bottom