Problem with old software

laserboy

Beta member
Looks like there are some knowledgeable people on here so I'm really hoping someone can help me.
I have a very old application that runs under DOS which was working fine up until recently.

I needed to change the trading name which prints out on stationary that I issue relating to this software. I presumed this involved something simple like editing a text file or running a setup .bat/exe. However most of the files seem to be in some sort of programming code/language which I'm not familiar with.
I amended a file I thought to be the relevant one after making a backup of the original but only made things worse in that now the program will not accept what I know to be the correct password!!

It seems to me that I may have activated some sort of copy protection but I'm not sure really.

Does anybody think they might be able to help? (18GB SCSI HDD free to anyone who can help me solve this!)

It might sound like an odd question, but, You did make a back up copy before you started to edit it didn't you?

If you are printing from a DOS program, (can I assume you mean a command line based version of DOS) then I amagine the paper layouts and any graphics will either be saved as text files (like you thought), Picture files (although this is very unlikely) or Post Script printer files. If you have any graphics, (including lines that are not made of text (----) then the post script file option is most likely).

In which case, to view post script files you should use a program called Ghostscript, (i can't remember where you get it from, but search on google - it is freeware). To save post script files you make a document as always and then print them as if you were using a printer, but instead of sending the document to a printer you send it to a file, where the printing information is saved.

Without a few more details I doubt that there is very much anyone can do.

laserboy said:
Looks like there are some knowledgeable people on here so I'm really hoping someone can help me.
I have a very old application that runs under DOS which was working fine up until recently.

I needed to change the trading name which prints out on stationary that I issue relating to this software. I presumed this involved something simple like editing a text file or running a setup .bat/exe. However most of the files seem to be in some sort of programming code/language which I'm not familiar with.
I amended a file I thought to be the relevant one after making a backup of the original but only made things worse in that now the program will not accept what I know to be the correct password!!

It seems to me that I may have activated some sort of copy protection but I'm not sure really.

Does anybody think they might be able to help? (18GB SCSI HDD free to anyone who can help me solve this!)
which was working fine up until recently.

You where there backtrack.Why don't you use Windows applications ?
Dos is a dead issue and i bet you upgraded Windows.
By the way when will you people start off with.
I have Windows version **
:( :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :D

Could it possibly be he didn't start the post, i'm using windows version XYZ, because he is actually (as he did say in the question) using DOS?

Whadya think?

root said:
Could it possibly be he didn't start the post, i'm using windows version XYZ, because he is actually (as he did say in the question) using DOS?

Whadya think?

You need Windows now since SYSOPS gave it up.Remember those like
"Underground" etc. This is 2004/

Thats the jab,if he's useing Dos how the hell does he get here ?
DOS never did this.
I needed to change the trading name which prints out on stationary that I issue relating to this software.
XYZ = MS Office etc.
:D

laserboy said:

Yes but why are you still in the "dark DOS ages" does it really work ?
DOS didn't have any copy protec.
Is this a College Joke Post.It's hard to believe.
========
what I know to be the correct password!!
Di(O)s is very confusious.
And i doubt if we see you again.

:eek: :D

Back
Top Bottom