Java help

Ð88

Fully Optimized
I have to create a program in java that's about 250 lines in length and also something that's not too difficult but still uses a lot of java elements. I was thinking of creating a Black Jack game. Do you think that would meet the requirements?

Also, if i run into trouble i would like to have someone i could ask questions (this is my first time programming in java).

From what I've seen Java resembles C++. I can give you a hand while talking about specific functions and such, however I won't be able to type out code b/c of my lack of knowledge in syntax.

As far as what you should program, I think Black Jack would work. Is Java like VB in which it allows you to create forms? B/c the only trouble I see with Black Jack is that if Java is more like C++ in which it runs on the command console, the game would look a bit boring.

On my C++ final, I created a little mini command console arcade. It had games such as Simon Says, Guess-the-number, and simple memorization games. Although it is pretty boring, it's the most life I could bring out of that black box.

it will be quite basic, ya. I'm not going for something that will look pretty. So without any sort of amazing visual elements (cards will likely be constructed from ascii characters) do you think it's a reasonable project? I have about 3 weeks to code it and write a short paper.

3 weeks! Definitely. My final took me around a week and a half and it was barely over a thousand lines of code. If you have a cap on how many lines you can use you might have to do a lot of loops and arrays to save lines. On mine, I evened out everything; it was all nice and neat. The meat was probably around 300-400 lines of code.

all right, i feel a little more confident already with my choice. It's just a matter of getting started. I have a lot of other things to do including a program in Scheme and a larger one in C++. Thanks! (i'd rep, but says i can't yet)

Also, still looking for someone who could help me with errors if I run into them.

Hahah..no problem. What's kind of language is Scheme? And what are you doing for C++? I seriously gotta find something to program b/c I'm growing bored.

Scheme is a functional programming language. Quite basic but because of being so basic it lacks a lot of the features that i became reliant on in C++ for instance (like loops). It also uses a lot of brackets which gets tedious. Apparently it's used for AI programming and I don't really know what else.

The program I will be writing in C++ is suppose to simulate a client/server model. I haven't looked into it to know what the details of it are just yet.

I don't have any experience coding with .NET so I don't think I can help you but I understand your situation. It's hard coming up with new programming ideas that will keep you interested long enough to finish it lol.

How's the Black Jack game working? I was on the brink of creating a better version of FreeCell today...then I started playing it.

Back
Top Bottom