Interested in learning about computer programming

PokerDegenerate

Daemon Poster
Hello everyone,

I have always been interested in computers and programming but have never really got into anything about it. What is a good starting point to begin self teaching myself about programming? For example what books to read, basic knowledge about systems I will need to know, programs I will need in order to begin writing programs.

THe books for dumbies series is always good. I have an html one that was good, but never had the time to really sit down and learn from it.

Also, microsoft has epxress versions of some of their compilers online for free. Take a look at those if you want, there are plenty of online tutorials.

Thanks, do you have any recommendations for a good compiler or is it based on what language I start with? Is the Microsoft visual C++ 2008 express more optimal than the others or does it really not matter which one I use? Also do you think learning C++ first is good or would it be better to start with something else?

THere's a million compilers and all have their ups and downs. Microsoft is good, but so is eclipse, textpad and dev ++. In the end, it boils down to personal preference.

Ok well i guess ill try out Microsoft first and see how it goes and once i get more accustomed to writing programs I will try out the others and see which one fits me the best. thanks for all the help....

I would start with Python before heading to C++. Python is a simple easy to learn language that will do actions right away. If you have any errors it will be in that statement. For a beginner, it will be better to help find and fix those errors. It will do a nice job teaching all the concepts and get you started into thinking like a programmer. I would switch to C++ after you're comfortable with choosing what set of functions is best at each occasion.

if you want a learning language i reccomend pascal thats its designted purpose for learning and it can be pretty easy to make it do things in the beggining

I started in Scheme, then moved to c++ and visual basic. I never looked at Python so I would not be able to evaluate how good it would be for you to start out with. I do know that c++ covers mostly all of the programming concepts you will need.

So if you get into c++, get the text book called "A First Book of C++" by Bronson.

Personally, I would stick with one language and really master the concepts in the text before moving on to other languages.

Thank you guys for all the responses! I have been messing around with python and javascript to get more of the basic stuff down before I jump into C++. I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions!!!!!!!

:D

can someone help, me i have no idea what c++ is.. im so confused, but i wish to learn computer programing, also is it possible to do this without spending any money

Back
Top Bottom