Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
In Runtime
Send a message via ICQ to hextcomm Send a message via AIM to hextcomm Send a message via MSN to hextcomm
Default Important!-Please read!

Please visit this link: http://opendelphi.org/index.php

Hello World!
Itís not just a rumor itís a real fact - Borland wants to sell Delphi and all its IDE Developer Tools. Now everyone is wondering what the future our favourite development kit will look like. Who is the potential buyer. What is his strategy? Numerous discussions take place in newsgroups and blogs right now.

We thought about a solution: Letís buy Delphi together and start an Open Source project. Thatís not just a joke or a crazy idea. Really think about it! There will be a small core team of Delphi programmers for the basic development and the whole community can contribute with ideas and solution to future stategies. The result will be a large pool of developers and a big opportunity to react on market needs and changes.

But Borland wonít give their IDE business away just for free. The plan is to ask all the developers and supporters how much they would spend to buy Delphi. Just register on this site to vote and place a donation. If we manage to collect enough money so that Borland agrees to the deal, we will make Delphi an Open Source product.

Of course you donít have to send the money in advance. Youíll receive a mail to confirm your donation and we charge this ammount if the deal goes through.

This chance comes once in a lifetime! Letís do it together!

Please find more details here.

I am definatley for this.

I also would not want to see another company buy this to kill the competition, I want Delphi to live on forever.

hextcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Golden Master
Default Re: Important!-Please read!

Hmm... open-source, eh? That would be good, but they'd need a lot of donations to do that, a lot. I registered anyway, in regards to donating, I doubt it...

LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Site Team
Default Re: Important!-Please read!

What sort of offer are they thinking? Do the donations get refunded if the bid is not successful?
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote