im freaking out. can i get a job with this degree...

anonymous.perso

Beta member
First of all thank you for reading this. My Question is will I be able to find a job as a computer programmer with a degree in Technical Management?

I transfered to Devry and they put me into a Technical Management program because more of my credits transfered.

By the completion of my degree I will still know as many programming languages and I will have several certifications. But the degree will be in Technical Management, NOT Computer Information Systems.

so before I go and waste my money on a degree that will be useless... the most important question of all is "will I be able to get a job as a computer programmer with this degree?"

Thanks for your input!

To be honest I would look into something different in the computer fields. I'm not sure how many jobs you will find in programming in the future around here. You might have to move to over seas. But that's just my Opinion

Bran said:
To be honest I would look into something different in the computer fields. I'm not sure how many jobs you will find in programming in the future around here. You might have to move to over seas. But that's just my Opinion

I would agree with him, and transfer into a diffrent college that will put you in an actualy computer programming course. Me personaly if I couldn't go into computer programming I would transfer to a networking administration due to you need to know the same general knoledge of computers, and I am both very good at computer hardware, and componets as I am in computer software. Anyways that just a few of my suggestions, and to shorten them up into a package:

~ Transfer to a diffrent college that will place you in a computer programming major

OR

~ Transfer to a diffrent major that has to deal with computers like networking (if you are good at this)

I would just like to say trust me you are not the first person to freak out about the major, and what your gonna do after college. Also I'm sure you heard this, but your also not the first to think about switiching majors. I think the stats are some students switch majors up to five times.

~mr mixx~ said:
what about the ITT Technical Inttitute...i have heard good things from them.

I'm sorry to say but 2 year degrees don't do anything for you when you get through with them. Trust me I wanted to go to PTI, and I asked an employeer that I wanted to go with what he thought, and he said that 2 year degrees just do not cut it. Hell, I am in high school (senior year) and I want to go for 8 years (4 for Computer Programming, and 4 more for Networking)...

I started with a two-year degree. (Associates in Information Systems Networking and Hardware support). With that degree it got me in the door. Stuff like Help Desk, PC Technician. After that I got my Bachelor degree in Business Administration Specializing in Computer Networking. Over all what really got me my job in the computer field was experience. Working as a tech for a couple years, then moved up to network admin. Level one, then just kept learning new things, and kept growing to where I'm at today. In addition, what can help is getting some certs. by your name.

You sound like you got it down "pat". Sounds like you've had a nice serise of jobs.

On a personal not the ONLY job I ever had was at a grocery store :lol, so your much better off then me, but then again your in College already or past it. Anyways I wish you the best of luck, and if you would like any more oppions I wouldn't be affraid to post more threads in asking...or just keeping going with this one :)

I have to agree with Bran. I started with a two year degree in CIS and have never gotten to BSc yet. But I haven't been too unemployed yet, either. The field moves so quickly that it is almost impossible to assume that you know everything you need if you are a fresh grad with 4 or 8 years. If going to a longer school is a problem, then do what you can to get yourself in a door. Once you've proven that you know your stuff to an employer and get moved up once, you can start certifications and learning by course audits, working toward a night school degree or whatever. Start in first and you might find you'll be plenty in demand.

Back
Top Bottom