How do I use Open Tok API for my website video chat room?

thevoice

Beta member
I hope someone here can talk me through this. I host a radio show and currently the listeners use Free video chat platform and video conferencing application | TokBox to video chat. This allows 20 listeners at a time to actually see us do the show and we can see them all on one screen as well as type chat with them during the show. (Our speakers are down cause we're on the air, so we can't hear them but they can hear each other.)

As of April 5, 2011 Tokbox will be closing down this chat. They have offered website owners to use their free Open Tok Api

I do my own website however this api thing has me a little baffled. Any one familar with how to use this?

In short, you'll probably need to learn a bit of Javascript at least (because it's a Javascript API.) This has the plus side that it's much more flexible than previously, but the downside as you've found is that you need to be able to program.

Get an API key at the website, have a look at Javascript and then play around with the examples - that might be all you need. If you get stuck then just ask :)

Hi Berry, thanks for the reply. I looked at the samples they had. Still a little confused....lol No I'm not gonna lie. A whole lot confused......lol But I'll try to work on it again. Not giving up.

Thanks Deepika, that's nice but all of the users are showing up as guest. Is there a way to have them register or at least enter a username?

Back
Top Bottom