Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Programming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Daemon Poster
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

Learning to code without an objective in mind is like deciding to go on vacations and start driving in a random direction. You'll get somewhere, but it's impossible to say if that somewhere is where you wanted to go.

As an example, I wanted to participate in the Linux kernel development (mostly I wanted to understand how it worked), so I started learning C, and a little bit of assembly. I had a goal in mind, later I realized what it took to achieve it.

There is not best language, there are only better languages for specific tasks. Once you've learned your first one, learning the second one is considerably easier.
__________________

__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
Daemon Poster
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

PS: The book I used for C is called "The C Programming language", and the authors are Kernigham and Ritchie.
__________________

__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:39 AM   #13
Solid State Member
 
mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tanzania
Posts: 11
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
Learning to code without an objective in mind is like deciding to go on vacations and start driving in a random direction. You'll get somewhere, but it's impossible to say if that somewhere is where you wanted to go.

As an example, I wanted to participate in the Linux kernel development (mostly I wanted to understand how it worked), so I started learning C, and a little bit of assembly. I had a goal in mind, later I realized what it took to achieve it.

There is not best language, there are only better languages for specific tasks. Once you've learned your first one, learning the second one is considerably easier.
OK, nice explaination
__________________
mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,057
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

the K and R book is "the" C bible.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
Daemon Poster
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
the K and R book is "the" C bible.
Absolutely. It's the book recommended by the Kernel newbies website.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,111
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

I learned using that book when I took a C programming class in 1984.
__________________
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:00 AM   #17
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Africa
Posts: 31
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
Learning to code without an objective in mind is like deciding to go on vacations and start driving in a random direction. You'll get somewhere, but it's impossible to say if that somewhere is where you wanted to go.
Probably the truest things besides o best language. I used to learn php , going through courses it was slow and tedious , then one day i applied for a job and was asked to write a api , at that time it was out of my scope, i was dissapointed in myself. So i started learning with the goal to be able to write that api , and let me tell you everything went so much faster. I continued to use this method alway setting a goal , this time to write a cms ,then i want to make a api , then a eCommerce site .... eventually things start overlapping and the learning just becomes faster and faster despite the fact you are learning more complicated things. THis i believe can be true with most markup languages .
__________________
petershene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #18
Daemon Poster
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershene View Post
Probably the truest things besides o best language. I used to learn php , going through courses it was slow and tedious , then one day i applied for a job and was asked to write a api , at that time it was out of my scope, i was dissapointed in myself. So i started learning with the goal to be able to write that api , and let me tell you everything went so much faster. I continued to use this method alway setting a goal , this time to write a cms ,then i want to make a api , then a eCommerce site .... eventually things start overlapping and the learning just becomes faster and faster despite the fact you are learning more complicated things. THis i believe can be true with most markup languages .
It's not only the fact that you have a goal, but also that you can continuously apply what you learn and that way you never forget it.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #19
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Africa
Posts: 31
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
It's not only the fact that you have a goal, but also that you can continuously apply what you learn and that way you never forget it.
Yea i definitely agree with this what happens when you do something practically is you start asking questions you would never have thought of reading a book or listening to a lecture . you start getting involved more the the concept of the language than the syntax .
__________________
petershene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #20
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: England
Posts: 50
Default Re: how could one start coding (java script or something)

I just wanna learn to code and hack wi-fi f*** the rest
__________________

__________________
TheCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0