Government jobs and Delphi?

styxxxola

Solid State Member
So I'm in the military, currently deployed in Iraq.
I've always loved computers, planning on taking the comptia A+ certification tests once I get out of here. I'll be out of the army shortly after my deployment. I've been dedicating a lot of my time here to ANSI C and C++. I'm almost through my C++ for dummies book, I've also been reading TC++PL by BS, Effective C++, TC++STL, etc... I've gotten a couple C and C++ certs through the army as well as a few A+ certs.

I'm planning on getting a simple A+ job as soon as I get out to pay the bills while I continue to study C++ and other programming languages (C# next? Not completely sure) I heard that the U.S. Government uses a lot of Delphi, I don't know anything about Delphi though.

I have a secret clearance and I know getting a clearance is one of the harder parts for people trying to land a government job. Does anybody know anything about landing a programming job with the government? Would it be easier to go that route than another given my military experience, clearance, and certs through the army?

Thank you!

First up, I'm talking in the UK here so things may be a bit different. But FYI and for others that may be in a similar situation in the UK...

I have a secret clearance and I know getting a clearance is one of the harder parts for people trying to land a government job
Interesting to hear that's the case there - it's really not in the UK. I once applied for a position in government dealing with top secret data on a day by day basis. I didn't get the job (fell down at the last interview stage) but once I got past the first 3 rounds I had to be vetted as a matter of course. The process was extremely thorough and they do need to know literally everything about your life - but as a relatively normal guy that's lived in the UK all his life and never done drugs, I sailed through the process with no quibbles at all. Had I failed the drugs test or originally come from another country the process would've likely been far trickier.

I appreciate you're not really a beginner - but I'd still recommend having a look at my sticky just for the points I make when choosing a language. In your situation I'd definitely recommend both Java and C# as general purpose languages, they're probably the most widely used out of any these days.

Never touched Delphi, but I don't know of anywhere that actually still uses it. So if you definitely know you'll need it then sure, go ahead - but as a general purpose language I'd give it a miss.

One other point - certificates help, but it's experience that really counts :) If you can point to concrete examples of good quality programs you've created, that will most likely help your case more than a few certificates.

Good luck with it all! :)

Get a top secret clearance...

It's cheaper to train a cleared person

Then to hire a qualified person

I think the prudent thing in your case to do would be to talk to your CO.

My CO isn't in my chain of command.

I think what you mean is my first line supervisor? My NCO.
She can help me with any questions Army side, this is more of a question directed toward people who might have knowledge in the field I'm interested in.

There isn't a software MOS =/

Get a top secret clearance...

It's cheaper to train a cleared person

Then to hire a qualified person

I'd love to, I am a guitarist in the Army and I'd have to have a pretty damn good reason to have my clearance bumped to top secret from secret as a guitarist. I'll gladly ask though haha :)

Back
Top Bottom