getting started again in programming.

dtrg

Solid State Member
hey guys. a couple years ago i was pretty heavy into computers. did a little bit of everything, gfx,programming,hardware, and just general knowledge. well after i dropped out of the computer tech program at my school (teacher was awful, didnt teach shit..made us do bitch work), i kinda lost interest and stopped staying current with technology. well now ive been getting into building a new computer for myself and realized that i used to be really into this stuff and i wouldnt mind getting into it again ya know.

i took a programming class last year, we used QBASIC and i did pretty damn well except for a few concepts that i didnt really understand (maybe it was cause i was asleep most of the time). anyway, i think it would be pretty cool to get back into programming just for fun. right now i dont know what i want to major in in college but i have a year or two to choose and id like to see if id like computers to be a career for me.

but what im tryin to ask is where should i begin? i dont know much terminology anymore and ive pretty much completely forgotten most of what i learned in programming class and completely forgotten HTML n all that good stuff.

i used to have a website that had a webcam of me 24/7 and i thought that was pretty cool. maybe i should start with re-learning html and trying to understand how to make a layout and how to go from a picture to having it the layout of my page using tables, a concept i never understood. anyway..any "newb" links or advice you could send my way would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

go to the used book stores and grab C and C++ books from there. Buy a few very cheap books from the bargain bins. that'll help

dtrg said:
maybe i should start with re-learning html and trying to understand how to make a layout and how to go from a picture to having it the layout of my page using tables,
Nooooo!!!

actually, layout out with tables is quite easy in some respects, I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly, However, the XHTML specifications are now moving away from the HTML definnig the layout of the page, with HTML/javascript defining only content and CSS defining the layout ,(using DIVS etc).

so yuo may be as well to forget about laying out with tables, and move straight into the current how to do things...

for some good ideas about what can be done with css check out http://www.csszengarden.com/ all the designs there use exactly the same HTML, just with different style sheets.

Html...you can master it in a day

When you get to real web developing languages like php & vbscript..then you'd be getting somewhere.

But first decide what is the right thing for you- web development or programming. Html comes nowhere near programming, infact its not even proper code. Its just a syntax, html writers are called "Authors".

TopWeb said:
Html...you can master it in a day
first of all... that was a fairly smug thing to say... and it really is inviting to take pot shots at that...

I'm not critisizing you. but if you can master HTML in a day...

how come your site fails HTML validation?
http://validator.w3.org/
(in other words it's not mastered it's badly written containing errors. (disallowed charector on line 107), I copied this page, removed the TM char that wasn't allowed, now it shows 62 different errors... Hardly Mastered...

In short, you can't master HMTL in a day, I don't think anyone could... you could maynbe roughly hack together a site, but it probably wouldn't be as good as topwebs site, (which is visually very nice looking), but unless you take great care it'll contain errors, and whilst you may manage to maker HTML 4, and you might even manage the strict version... you have to appreciate that HTML 4 was defined back in the 90s and is now some 6 or 7 specifications out of date...

Also pay no attention to the smug people that'll put you down because you know a little less than them... don't try to set yourself impossible limits, it will take time to learn things...

I'm not being smug. I truly feel it is possible to master html in 12 hours. There isn't much to it. And what "errors" are you referring to? which website are you talking about?

Okay I see the errors on topweb.in, thanks for pointing them out I will be correcting them soon. Also, the media gallery- its software I purchased from xigla.com- So technically I haven't made it myself.

Also heres something worth taking a look at
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.computerforums.org

Like I said, you CAN master html in 12 hours- but the current W3C standards are very strict. No smug intended, I meant what I said.

It's OK... I'm just messing with you...

truth be told you'd find it quite difficult to fnid gallery software that did validate...

I'd put money on this forum not passing validation!

Back
Top Bottom