Downsides to visual studio?

jaywash

Baseband Member
I was wondering if there are really any downsides to using visual studio, i heard that the files are larger, therefor making the program slower. I ask because in my C++ book it uses visual and I want to be able to follow along as easily as possible. but if its gonna make programs slower then ill get code::blocks.

Honestly, in the end I feel like the best IDE is the one that works best for the person using it. For me the only downside I have with VS is that there is sooo many tools shown to you by default that if you haven't used it in a while, or just did a major version upgrade it can be over-whelming.

Honestly, in the end I feel like the best IDE is the one that works best for the person using it. For me the only downside I have with VS is that there is sooo many tools shown to you by default that if you haven't used it in a while, or just did a major version upgrade it can be over-whelming.

well at the moment the ide i get doesnt even matter XD i keep getting an error when i try to compile saying some kind of image is't found, but the code is

Code:
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "hello, world!" << endl;

return 0;
}

What image!?

You'll need to change the std::cout to just "cout" or change endl to "std::endl". I don't think you can mix and match styles like that.

I don't know if there is any downsides to Visual Studio, it is widely used in very large software companies.

I don't have any problems with it, but like Celegorm has said the best IDE is the one that your are familiar and comfortable with.

You'll need to change the std::cout to just "cout" or change endl to "std::endl". I don't think you can mix and match styles like that.

Code:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
    return 0;
}

||=== Hello World, Debug ===|
ld.exe||cannot find -lSDL_image|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings (0 minutes, 6 seconds) ===|

^ thats the error i get